Thursday, December 15, 2011

A clarification

Apparently my last post made it sound like I am teaching my son that his aunt chose to have one child just so she could have gadgets.

Not my intention...and not how I think the conversation actually went...just how it sounded on here?  I of course know lots of people who have multiple kids with much cooler stuff than we have.  And I know there are people with zero kids who do not have the gadgets...

Tuesday night's conversation happened to be specifically about electronic gadgets.  Sometimes he asks why our house isn't as big as his friends or why we don't get to go to Disney.  This time, when addressing why certain people have better technology, nicer houses, better gadgets than us, Andrew specifically asked, "Why does Aunt Kate have an iPad and a Nook and Guitar Hero and everything cool?" 

And we talked about her decision to work and have only one child.  And we talked a little bit about cost of living.  And we mostly talked about how no one can have it all, and Jeff and I have made choices about how we spend our money.  And someday he will have to make choices as well.  And that for the rest of his life there will always be someone with cooler stuff than him.

Just to clarify...because I am NOT teaching my son that you have to choose between a big family and gadgets.  I don't think there is anything wrong with treating yourself and your family to fun gadgets.  It's all cool, man!  That's why they sell them...because it is amazing technology for people to enjoy!  Perhaps I should have really stressed that the key to him having gadgets and cool electronics someday is to NOT marry someone who is as cheap and stingy as his mother ;P

Sorry, Kate!  I really think it just came out wrong on the blog!  Andrew loves you!

No comments: