Saturday, December 17, 2011

Worst Day of 2011

I'm going to go out on a limb and proclaim that yesterday was the worst day of 2011 for me.  The.  Worst.  I know this is tempting fate, since there are still 2 weeks left in 2011, but I'm putting it out there anyway. 

Thursday was great.  I had my first personal training appointment on Thursday morning.  The trainer was very nice and the workout seemed hard without making me want to kill myself.  My throat was hurting a bit, but it felt like the start of a head cold.

Jeff was home from work so that we could go to Michael's Christmas show at pre-school.  I cried like a baby, seeing my baby up there singing along.  He was Adorable, with a capital A.  And he actually sang!  Not like Lily, a.k.a. Aretha, but better than Andrew at 3...who just stood up there doing the motions with his eyes as wide as an owl.

Thursday night we had leftover chili for dinner...and I couldn't finish it because it burned my throat so bad.  Not a good sign, but I chose to ignore it because I had bells practice immediately followed by book club.  And I was not missing book club!  I'd missed my girl's night out cookie exchange last week because of damn lice...I was not missing again.  Unfortunately, by the time I got home from the cookie exchange, my throat was a throbbing burning hot poker of pain. 

I slept a whopping 3 hours that night.  Up for the day at 3 am...trying to sooth my throat with ice chips and popsicles and Advil.  I knew what this was...I just felt it a month ago. 

But this was worse...
a) There was no way Jeff was staying home or even coming home early...he'd just taken the day off and moved all his meetings to do that.  Screwed.
b) My entire body was in pain from the workout with the trainer.  Even walking was sending shooting pains up and down my thighs.  This does not couple well with the throat on fire.
c) Just like last time, I am in the middle of my period while enjoying the strep.  I get headaches...very mild, but annoying, the last few days of my period.  PLUS, it make me have to visit the bathroom a lot...which involves a squat...see b) for how painful that was.

Anyhoo...I made breakfast for everyone, got them out the door, took Lily to preschool and made it to the doctor, where I had to entertain my 3 year old for 55 minutes in the waiting room before they got us a room in the back.  Urgh.  The actual appointment was only 15 minutes?  It was clear what I had. 

Now I only had 30 minutes until it was time to pick up Lily again, so we race to the drug store and drop off my prescription, run back to the pre-school to get Lily, and drive across our little town to take Michael to speech.  Lily and I doodled in a side room while we waited for him...and I could tell I was spiking a fever.  I was shaking and freezing and sweating all at the same time.  The speech teacher looked at me like I had the plague and told me that I looked bad.  Thanks.  :)  Michael gets out of speech and we race over to the drug store to get the horse pills that they prescribe for sore throats...WTH.  My throat is swollen and tender...why do I need to swallow these bad boys? 

It's now about 1pm, and the kids and I are starving.  So once back at home, I make them lunch.  I am so feverish I can't get warm, so I keep my winter coat and hood on the whole time.  All our blankets and throws are in lice quarantine.  Michael keeps asking where we are going.  I eat some soft pears and soup and take my first pill.  Kids are eating lunch and watching a show. I am exhausted, since I've been up since 3 am.  But there's no time for a nap, because no one naps in our house and in 90 minutes I have to go to the bus stop to get B., the boy I watch.  I guess I could have cancelled on his parents...but it's not like my kids are sick, and I have to be up and taking care of them, so why not one more.

My fever breaks just before we go get B.  I trudge through the next few hours getting snacks for children and trying to clean up the house a bit.  Jeff gets home at the same exact time B.'s parents come.  We eat a quick dinner, and then it's time for Jeff to take Andrew to do his swim test at the gym.  If you do it this one night, you get 20% off the lessons.  So I entertain the 2 little ones a bit more, then turn on a show and finally...finally put them to bed.  Jeff gets home 20 minutes later...and brings me a chocolate shake.  I take a second pill and go to bed at 8.  Jeff tucks me in and points out that at least I no longer have lice.  True enough...this is better timed than it would have been last week.  ;)

This morning is better.  My throat is hurting at a 2 Motrin level rather than a 3 Motrin plus 2 Tylenol level.  My muscles are vaguely sore, but I walked down the steps without difficulty.  My headache is gone.  And I slept for 10 hours...so I feel well rested.  AND, Jeff is home today. 

So I made it through.  Now to muster then energy to bake all those Christmas cookies (supposed to be my weekend project), plan and shop for feeding my visitors next week, and clean up for them too. Oh, and wrapping and shopping for a dress for Lily (she has none?) and more wrapping and stocking stuffers shopping.   On second thought, I need another nap first.

6 comments:

bluedaisy said...

I truly hope that is the worst day for a WHILE! It's like we all need an extra immune system boost at this time of year when we all seem to get run down (not that it would help with the lice issue).
Hope you enjoy the weekend and continue to feel better!!
You are a saint for making it through that day in one piece ;)

Jayme said...

Oh my gosh. I hope you feel better sooner than later. We're supposed to do baking this weekend, too!

Memere said...

Hey, we're not company. You don't have to shop, plan meals or clean. That's what Mommys are for. So rest and get better. We can always delay our trip. We are suppose to enjoy the season not stress about it. You are still my baby.

Grandma said...

I'm going to start looking for Ohio engineering jobs. We need to get you closer home where the people who love you can help you on days like Friday! You poor thing!

memere said...

Go Grandma! I'll second that!

CARRIE said...

OMG! You poor thing. I just wanted to cry while reading this. But you are right, the lice on top of it all would have probably made it the worst day of the decade.