Thursday, December 22, 2011

WHAT?!?! It's December 22nd?!?!?

Boy-howdy.  I can't believe that Christmas is in 3 days.  This month has not gone exactly as I planned.  And once again it is a lesson in how being a procrastinator doesn't pay off.  Will it stop me from procrastinating next time.  No.  But still...lesson experienced.

We are mostly ready over here.  The floor is in need of a thorough cleaning (thank you for tracking dog dirt in, boys) and the guest bedroom (aka Lily's room) has not been overhauled yet and there is still quite a bit of wrapping to do AND I am helping with Michael's class party today AND Andrew's class party tomorrow and I have one more bells practice and the kids have Christmas Eve Nativity practice and my car is going to the shop Friday and...

Stop.

Let me tell you first about Lily's Christmas program.  It was AWESOME.  That child is a born performer.  She scowled the whole time because she was so intent on singing all the words...and she did.  I doubt I will enjoy any gift I get as much as I enjoyed watching Michael and Lily's performances.  Truly.

The kids are ready for Christmas.  Every day, Lily announces that, "Tomorrow is Christmas!" and then she quickly adds, "Not really."  Lily has also become quite devout, and kneels and prays at any nativity scene she comes across.  It makes us look like really really crazy Christians...but it is really really cute.  She got a children's Bible from her teachers for Christmas and all she wants to do is sit and read it.  Also, this is the first year she is really really excited to GIVE people gifts.  She literally gets giddy when she even thinks about giving Jeff his present...and she thought of the idea all on her own.  Wonderful.

Michael is terrified of Santa, so when the old man visits his class today I imagine it will not go well.  You also cannot go shopping with him, because even though he SEEMS like he isn't paying attention, the second he sees the recipient of the gifts you bought?  He spills the beans about what I went shopping for.  His appetite has gone downhill quickly...all he wants to eat is Christmas cookies and candy.  There are many fights throughout the day.  Michael does NOT get excited about giving people gifts.  Everytime we mention it or when we give someone a gift (like his teachers), he instantly throws a mini-tantrum because HE doesn't have a gift.  I think all those fall birthdays where his siblings got gifts and he didn't really ruined him.

Andrew is so much fun.  I can't believe that he just ACCEPTS all this Santa business, but he does.  He has not complained about having school all week (he has less days off than Jeff this year) because he just loves school so much.  He came home so excited to sing us a Christmas carol he learned at school to the tune of Jingle bells.  To give you an idea, one line is, "911, 911, Santa Claus is dead./Rudolph took a .22 and shot him in the head."  Lovely.  No wonder he loves school so much.  One more thing...sorry in advance, Linda...but it was really funny.  When he unwrapped an ornament from his grandmother he smiled and said, "This is nice, Mom, but I have a feeling when I grow up this will be a back of the tree ornament."  I smiled and told him that grandma had picked it out at the hospital because she wasn't able to get out and shop this year.  His little face melted and he said, "Oh.  That's really nice.  I'll make sure it isn't in the back...ever."

I have many more stories.  And I should write them down...because I know that remembering them someday will be WAY more important to me than how clean my kitchen floor was.

But now the children insist on being fed.  Lordy.  I guess I can't shirk that duty...

No comments: