Monday, June 11, 2012

Still not plugging in...

We're surviving quite well over here without the DS and tv.  Granted, there are some cheats built in.  Go to the library...play computer games.  Go with Mommy to the gym...watch tv in the Kid's Club.

All this time has us playing games/reading more books and digging out more toys we forgot about and just generally spending more time together.  Also known as: Mommy getting nothing done, trashing the house, and making each other scream.  Cup half full/half empty...all that jazz.

Some things that I've noticed...

Michael is the most addicted to computer games...BY FAR.  And I have been really bad about letting him play and play and play.  He just loves it so.  Now without it, he is coloring and building and paging through books to help pass the time.  It is very cool.  In fact, yesterday he drew a picture and showed his dad that he had written "zoo", (although the "oo" came first and the "z" was written backwards) and he wrote "CAT" (although the letters were out of order).  Who knew he could even write letters that aren't in his name!?! The bad Mommy award can be pinned right here on my shirt.

Lily is so much better at reading than I thought.  On the occasional quiet reading time we got pre-computer game freeze out, I was going through the Bob books with her.  Well, whoooo-doggie...she is well past those.  Ooops...I suppose I should have noticed that earlier.  That other bad Mommy award can go right here on the other side of my shirt.

Andrew hasn't been affected so much by this freeze yet.  He isn't finished with school until this afternoon...one hour from now, actually. Yikes.  Sure, the weekends were long and painful...Andrew doesn't really play with toys anymore.  So without any direction, he either makes up spreadsheets, invents tournaments and draws their brackets, or he pesters his sister and brother.  -sigh-  We need to find some other, new hobbies for him.  If only he liked to build.  I swear they make no toys for 8 year old boys that aren't building in some capacity.  Or computer games.

4 more days until the ban is lifted.  But I think I need to keep a semi-permanent ban on electronics even after our trip is over.  The kids are just better off without it...and I need to suck it up and stop being so lazy.  So...I'm thinking there are no tv shows or video games unless it is raining.  Then it's a free for all.

No comments: