Sunday, June 24, 2012

Canoeing

      At the beginning June, I started a list of things I want to do with the kids this summer.  They are at the absolute perfect age to do things with.  They are only going to be this much fun for a few short years...until Andrew becomes a pre-teen, I figure.  So I want to maximize the fun while they are old enough to not crap their pants (often) and young enough to still love being with their parents!

One thing on my list was to take all the kids canoeing.  Last summer, Jeff took the older two while Michael was home napping.  But this year there are no naps!  No restrictions!  So we took the kids to a nearby lake, rented two canoes, and went out on the water.

The boys were all in one canoe.  Andrew proudly grabbed his paddle and climbed confidently into his canoe...I never saw his paddle enter the water.    Michael had never been in a canoe, but he sat happily on the cushion on the floor and dragged his hand elbow deep in the warm water for most of the boat ride.  Jeff struggled to paddle against the drag that Michael's upper body created.

Lily and I got in the other canoe.  I didn't even bother getting a paddle for her.  She immediately refused to sit on the seat because it was too hot.  We grabbed a towel and created a nice cushioned seat for the little princess.  She clutched the edge of the seat in terror as I paddled the canoe out...totally lacking any faith that her mother can steer a boat.  I eventually won her over and she was splashing and laughing.  She also had the bag with the camera in it right at her feet.  I told her she could very carefully take some pictures (this is our old camera...but still).  I didn't really pay attention to what she was taking pictures of...imagine my amusement when we got home and I actually looked at what she'd taken pictures of.

So, I present, 

CANOEING, FROM LILY'S PERSPECTIVE

She started off quite well...







 Then she got a little distracted with self portraits.


 There are the boys, in the background!



 She gave a thumbs up to herself...how cute is she?

 And then for her last shot, she turned around and got a picture of me.  

And to think...next week we'll be taking pictures at the beach!

2 comments:

bluedaisy said...

Those pics are precious--definitely something to save for the future. So glad you had fun :)

CARRIE said...

I don't know if I love the self-portraits more, or your description of how the photographing went.