Sunday, October 02, 2011

Let's Hear it for the Girls!

In case you aren't keeping track...Lily turns 5 this Thursday. That's right...FIVE.

-gulp-

In what has become a family expectation, Lily got to host her first birthday party. Andrew had one when he was 5, so it seemed only fair to do it for Lily. Even though Andrew's party was a bit painful. So I pulled on my "Good Mommy" pants and planned a party for 5 little girls.

We decided to do a tea party. Okay, I decided it...Lily was just ecstatic to be having a party. We got the Fancy Nancy tea party book and had fun planning what we would do. The boys were all going to be gone at soccer. Just before the girls arrived we were ready...




Jeff went out and picked up the cupcake cake I ordered. It was super cute and prevented me from having to cut cake. I have learned. Also? Planned party for after lunch so I didn't have to feed them. By the time Michael has a party, the kids won't be allowed in the house and they will be allowed one glass of water ;) Fun parties at our house!




The girls arrived and started in on the craft...a sticker by number crown. I was...shocked. They just sat there for 30-40 minutes doing the craft. And they were spontaneously singing songs from school, or talking about their dresses, or telling funny stories. They were quietly enjoying each other's company. No tackling. No throwing. No destroying the house. My jaw may have hung open in shock through this whole part of the party. Except for the part where I had to listen to Lily being bossy because it was her birthday. She was severely admonished when she told one of her friends to wear a dress at her next birthday party. (Lily! Who never wears a dress ANYWHERE...argh). I immediately pointed out that we had not told people to dress up and that I wasn't wearing a dress either. Little snot. She did quickly apologize and compliment the girl on her shirt. I have to remember that social interactions are learned and not innate. -sigh-


They did eventually want to play. So some girls started playing with Barbies, some pushed baby dolls around in prams, and some dressed up. Then Lily led them to the family room, where we had our video camera set up on a tri-pod and hooked up to the tv in live feed mode.


Needless to say, I discovered that 4 &5 year old girls love to watch themselves on tv:










Then we went back and finished our crowns. The girls helped each other finish and were so complimentary and sweet with each other.










Now that we had our crowns ready, it was time for the tea party. I had one little tea pot full of juice and one of water. The tea cups were so tiny...I think they held only a few tablespoons. Which was perfect, because pouring was the most fun part. They all politely passed the teapots and crackers and things. I explained that ladies talk and get to know each other at tea, so maybe we could ask each other questions. I asked what everyone's favorite color was, then another girl asked what their favorite animal was, and then M. raised her hand and eagerly asked everyone what their favorite kind of cake was. It was...adorable. And time for cake.




Lily blew out her candle and everybody had a cupcake. Well, a few bites. The cake looked good, but didn't taste that great.


It was time for more playing. They built with blocks and Lily taught them how to play one of her favorite board games.



I got out the sugar cookies I had made and the girls came and went decorating their cookies to bring home. The neon icing was a hit...and the cookies tasted much better than that nasty cake.


The girls were doing so well, I decided to let Lily open her gifts in front of them. In my experience this is a bad idea, since all the kids tend to pile in and open the birthday kids' gifts. These girls were different. They all sat patiently waiting to give Lily her gifts. They reminded her to read the card first. S. started to tear Lily's first gift open, asking if she could help. Lily politely told her no, it was not her birthday. S. backed right off and never crowded Lily again. Each gift was appropriately ooohed and aaaahed over. It was amazingly cute and wonderful.







Then the girls went home. It was...so easy. Such a nice little group of friends. No tears, no fights, no destruction of personal property. But I sincerely hope Lily isn't this prima-donnaish on non-birthday days. :)

7 comments:

bluedaisy said...

What a fantastic party!! I'm taking lessons from you my friend so I will be all set when Chloe's turn comes :) So much fun to look forward to doing a few girlie things amidst all the matchbox cars, racetracks and trucks. Happy Birthday Lily!!!!!!

Emily said...

LOVE the video feed idea. That is brilliant. And I always like it when the birthday guest opens gifts, so that the giver gets to see the reaction and make the connection "oh, that's why it's nice to give them a gift they like" etc. But I've always had parents there to help control the chaos.
Which leads me to that question - it sounds like it was a drop-off party? We've been discussing around here at what age do you change from parents staying to dropping off? Parents stayed for Katy's 5th, but I decided that for sure the 6th, I'll indicate to drop off.

Giselle said...

This was a drop off party. But I have known most of these moms for over 2 years and the other is my neighbor. So the girls were very comfortable with me and each other. If we had invited some of her new friends from school, I would have had to let the parents stay...I think everyone would be more comfortable with that.

Pamela said...

The video feed was pure genius! And I think not having siblings around during the party makes the whole affair much easier to manage. The whole party sounded like a huge success...yay!

d e v a n said...

oh my! What a fun party! this gives me a little hope that not all our future birthday parties will be wild and mayhem!

Aunt Sara said...

Glad it all went smoothly! Lily was so excited about it on the phone, sounds like you're almost as excited :)

CARRIE said...

Video feed is awesome!!! Why I haven't I thought of this to entertain my kids all the time?????? You are a genius, my friend.