Tuesday, August 14, 2007

"Comfortable" house

We have visitors coming next week! Yippee! Cousin Colin and Aunt Kate are flying in on Saturday and staying the week.

Having lived out of state for my entire married life, live-in visitors no longer stress me out. I am who I am. But there is a list of chores that I do so that people will come back and visit again. Here's an excerpt of my list:

1- Go to grocery. Probably should have more to offer guests than water and Cheerios. Perhaps water, Cheerios, juice, AND lunch meat.

2- Chisel new life forms off kitchen floor and table. I hate killing, but there is no need to infect my guest with some strange bacteria.

3- Change sheets in guest room. Dust in guest room. Vacuum in guest room. Basically, make guest room a haven away from the chaos, dirt, grime, and clutter that is the rest of my house.

The results of my lack-luster performance as a hostess are pretty good. I have many repeat visitors. I highly doubt it is due to my hostessing skills, and more to do with the cute little people that inhabit this disgusting abode. But whatever. They keep coming back.

I receive many comments from guests that make me wonder if I shouldn't really sharpen up my skills, though. They go something like this:

"Oh, I feel so welcome here. Sometimes it's hard to be a visitor because you feel like you're putting people out, but not here." Translation: I don't feel guilty for coming because you obviously did nothing different to prepare for my arrival.

"It's so nice to come to someones house and just relax." Translation: I truly go home relaxed/bored to tears, because you plan NOTHING for us to do.

"Visiting you is just like being at home." Translation: You make me serve myself, find my own towels, watch the children, figure out what to do to entertain myself, etc etc. You know, just like at home.

"I just love thistle flowers. They are so pretty." Translation: This poor dear has no gardening skills at all. Just focus on the only green thing alive in the yard. Grasping for polite comment.

I know all these comments are meant well. But maybe it's time to change things up a bit. Improve my hostessing skills. Maybe just a little bit at a time. Like, in preparation for this weekend, perhaps I'll move the mountain of discarded shoes out of the front hall. Or wash the mirrors in the bathroom. Or serve food in platters on the kitchen table.

This makes me tired just thinking about it. It's just my sister, right? Maybe when dignitaries come to visit...

5 comments:

Kate said...

Oh please don't stress... then I can return the favor when you come. Besides, Colin is going to destroy your house (just like home) and then I won't have to worry as much if you already have a head start. Just give him 2 hours with your house and you'll be scraping new crud off the floor and vacuuming pieces of whatever toy he's taken apart. You have no idea how relieved I am to be visiting a place that's already been baby-proofed (not Colin-proofed) and with kids to entertain him and let me actually hang out with another adult rather then spend my time worrying and chasing him around because I'm scared he'll find the family heirloom or break Great Aunt Edna's urn. Get ready Giselle. The work doesn't start until we leave!!

Erin said...

HA! I totally get these same comments. Also, my in-laws like to say (over and over), "please don't cook for us! Oh, please, we don't want you to cook for us!" when they visit. Hmmm... maybe I can take a hint...

Giselle said...

Okay, Kate. The whole point of this blog entry was to point out that I DO NOT stress about visitors. But after your comment, I'm totally stressing!!! Baby-proofed? My house?

Kate said...

Do you have an urn? Colin will cook with it if you do.

Seriously. No stressing. He'll have enough distractions that we won't need to stick his fingers into any sockets. He's good about not opening drawers and cabinets. He likes sockets. And sinks. And nicknacks.

Kelsey said...

Honestly, it is so much less pressure visiting a house where there are other kids and things are not perfect all the time. . . and it makes me feel better for not having a sparkling house either. Good for you for not stressing about visitors. As much as I try not to, sometimes I admit to a last minute cleaning frenzy before people come over and then I just spend a day being crabby to everyone! Not good.