Friday, August 31, 2007

Let's take a deep breath...

Okay, so have you all recovered from the shock yet? I haven't, but since I'm the one that will be wiping this little one's butt, I suppose I have more to get over. ;)

My favorite thing about announcing a "surprise" pregnancy that I'm really nervous about? All the, "It could be worse..." stories I get to hear. You know the type...I'm at playgroup, and the mom next to me says, "Don't be nervous. It could be worse. I have a cousin who had twins and then 13 months later had quintuplets and a goat. Can you imagine?" Or, "My sister knew a woman who had 5 kids, each just 8 months apart. I know it sounds crazy, but it's true!" Those types of stories. (coincidentally, these are the same people who potty trained their kids at 13 months...hmmm). Apparently, I've really got nothing to worry about. 18 months apart is a piece of cake compared to 99% of the rest of the population. Relieving, that what it is ;)

As you all know, pregnancy is not my favorite phase in life. If you are reading my blog, and suffer from infertility or other conditions that may make you sensitive to complaining pregnant people, you may wish to stop reading for the next few months. I am grateful to be able to get pregnant...not so grateful about being pregnant. At least the other 2 times I was preggers, I was soooooooo excited about the end result. It was a real light at the end of the tunnel. This time, the light at the end is tainted with fears of juggling two babies/how will I get Andrew into school with 2 little ones in tow/will Lily get lost in the middle/etc etc etc.

I am feeling quite sick this week...but not too bad yet. I've only thrown up twice, although I've thought I would many more times. I fear I'm anticipating the sickness a lot this time. I feel resigned to the fact that there will be much worshiping the porcelain God. Except this time, I'm going to have to keep an ear up for my 10 month old making a break for the steps (yes, it is her new favorite past time).

Um, what else? Oh, yes, my mom is here this week (THANK GOD!). Next week should be interesting. I wish she could stay for the next couple of months...but she has to, like, go to Russia or something. Selfish. How could she choose a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to travel in a fascinating country over doing my dishes and laundry while entertaining my restless children? Huh.

So thanks for the congrats...we'll get there. ;)

4 comments:

Emily said...

Congratulations, Giselle! It's Lisa Wilson, Lake Forest playgroup, ring a bell? I heard your news at a dinner out and thought I would check in with you. I was in your very position 20 months ago when I found out I was expecting my third. Ben was only 18 months old at the time. I told my husband "We already HAVE a baby!" It was terrifying to think that I would have three kids, two of them so young. I felt the same feelings that you talked about. I was in a panic 3/4 of the time that I was pregnant. I thought I would become a lunatic having two babies. But you know what? I LOVE it. Ben and Sarah are like little buddies now.It is so sweet to watch them play and have fun together. There is so much joy in my heart because of this perfect little girl. I am not overwhelmed, I am not a screaming lunatic. It will be okay! You will be fine! You are an amazing mother and you will be great with three. Trust me! I hope you are feeling better!

CARRIE said...

It will all work out... but that is not to say it will all be a piece of cake. I am sending you good vibes and will continue to for the next however-many months (and years if necessary).

Giselle said...

Thanks, Lisa! It does help to hear of people who really enjoy having kids close together. I do think we will appreciate it when the kids get a little older. I just have to survive the first 2 years or so. ;)

Glad to hear all is going well with you!

Val said...

Giselle,
I can't remember if I told you this before, but my mom has said her third child was by far the easiest (the older two were 4-1/2 and 2-1/4 when she was born.) She said Jess just slid right in, and barely made a ripple in the lake of our family life. So even though Lily will be a little younger, hopefully you will have the same experience.