Thursday, August 09, 2007

The HEAT the HEAT

Why do I forget this heat every year? Why does everyone, for that matter? Every year, we are in our houses facing brown-outs and heat advisories, and every year people say the same thing..."I haven't seen heat like this in years. It used to be so pleasant in the summer. Damn global warming." Except that 8 years ago it ended, "Damn El Nino." I promise I have this conversation with EVERY checkout person at EVERY store I've been to for the last 10 summers.

How soon we forget the seasons. Every January, I sit in the house bored to tears and think, "If it were just summer, I could play with the kids outside all day." Fast forward to August when the mere THOUGHT of going outside makes armpit rings on my shirt. I don't even want to go to inside activities, like the mall, because when we return to our car it is like entering an active kiln. And we bake like pretty glazed pottery. All for the privilege of going to...the mall? I think not.

So I sit inside the house bored to tears and think, "If it was just winter, we could play in the snow and lick icicles and get cozy under blankets."

Ah! The joys of seasons! Even in California, where it was just pleasant all the time, I managed to complain. "Oye! Sunny AGAIN? I just can't go to the park one more day! I need an excuse to watch movies all day."

Tough to please, that's me. Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to go stop ignoring my bored children.

2 comments:

CARRIE said...

Amen Sister! I do it too, so you're not alone. When we were having a nice run of 80 degree weather, I was saying, "Yeah, I don't mind being pregnant in the summer." Not so much in 101 degree weather.

Erin said...

I just had this EXACT conversation with someone yesterday. About how it always seems so UNFAIR when it gets this hot, even though it gets this hot every year. Every damn year. The weatherman was saying, "it's going to be the hottest it's been in one year!" on tv this morning. And Brett and I were like, huh? It was this hot last year? No way. Last summer it was beautiful and 80 degrees all summer and we played outside and caught fireflies and sang kumbaya and life was beautiful and balmy.

Or maybe the heat causes part of our long-term memory to shut down for the sake of protecting our will to live. Sort of like how mothers "forget" the pain of childbirth, so to ensure the continuation of humankind. We forget the heat of summer so that we don't all shrivel up in a dehydrated mass of depression.