Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Amazing Lily











Okay, if you don't want to hear me brag, you'd better not read this post. But if you DO want to read about me being a delinquent parent...please enjoy!

Lily is 22 months old. Soon she will be 2 years old, and I won't have to count her age in months anymore. -sigh- Such a big milestone...unless you are that crazy lady I met at the park who told me her son was 34 months old...you are a freak...I can't even do that kind of math without paper.

Anyway, I digress. Lily is so different than Andrew was...delightfully so. But one big difference I've been noticing is that she is in such a RUSH to grow up. She's not enjoying the subtle nuances of being 1...she's just rushing toward that 2 year old standing in her future. And unfortunately for Lily, her mother is balking at it.

Let me give you some examples of my 2 year old in training...

1) Lily seems to think she wants to use the potty. Uh, WHATEVER? Here's a little TMI, but she only asks when she hasn't gone poop in a while. I think then she can actually feel it coming when it gets to that point and so she will ask to go potty (are you totally grossed out yet? Welcome to motherhood, where bodily functions have reached the social equality of, say, discussing the weather). SOME mothers, better mothers, would eagerly whisk her away to the potty seat and read her stories of Elmo going to the potty and go to the store and pick out pretty panties with princesses on the front. THIS mother, the bad mother, says, "No, just go in your diaper."

I know, I know, you are gasping with shock. But, seriously? She is 22 months old. I tried one morning to put her on the potty every time she asked. And she never went, not one little drop. And we had 5 wettish diapers that I had to replace. And I had to find a place to put Michael safely 5 times for NOTHING. Uh-uh. She's not ready. And I'm not ready. And I know there are mythical children out there who potty train before 2, but I envision that "potty-training" to equate to more "parent-training" than anything else; an existence filled with wet, soiled panties, puddles on the floor, and other disgusting exchanges. No thank you. I'll just wait until she's 3 years 4 months and is completely potty trained in a week like Andrew. No accidents. Okay, so I won't make her wait that long...but 22 months ain't happening. And why is is so exciting to have your kid potty trained? It's really overrated. Diapers are so easy...especially when you are out running errands. Okay, I've ranted enough.

2) Lily is desperately trying to learn her letters and numbers. All day, she points at letters and asks, "Wha's Da?" Which is really cool and I'm really proud of her...but secretly it gets old really fast. I think it's really me not wanting her to grow up so fast. Yesterday I was wearing a t-shirt with BORCHERS written in big letters on the front (thanks, Dad), and she came up to me, pointed at the word and said, "ABC's". Then she pointed to the B and said "B", then the O and said "O", and then her 1 year old brain bounced off to another activity, leaving me slack jawed at the fact she just started spelling the word on my shirt. My BABY, people.

3) Lily is counting, really and truly counting. She lines up her Cheerios and as she does it she says, "Uhn, dooo, feeee, fooo, iiiive, ixxxx, eiiiigh, niiii," Okay, so she never says seven...but, dude, she's not even 2! And I know she's counting, not just memorizing numbers, because she does things like counts birds flying overhead..."Birds, Mommy. Uhn, dooo birds!"

4) Lily has decided this week to start speaking in full sentences. Prepositions and everything. We were out to eat with Jeff's parents and she clear as day said, "Pawpaw go walk with me?" It's amazing and wonderful and I'm sure it's totally normal for her age (I haven't read a book about development recently, so I can't remember). But it makes her seem so OLD. Soon she will lose all those baby pronunciations like Andrew did.






5) Oh, yea, and she wants to sleep in a bed, not a crib. Since my sister so gracefully has lent me her crib, I was planning on keeping Lily in the crib until 16 or 17 at least. Why would you want your children roaming free in their rooms? Especially if your children were as uncoordinated as mine so cannot climb out on their own. When she asks to sleep in the twin bed, I just avoid the subject. Pin that Mother-of-the-year pin RIGHT HERE, please.

In writing this out, I think I've realized what my problem is. I remember Andrew doing all these things, and now he's just a big old kid. Not a baby, just a kid (who is wonderful and funny and not at all a disappointment...but you know). And I watch her and I realize how fast this stage of life is and as much as it drives me crazy sometimes I'm sad to see her pass through it. Take your time, Lily. I love you just the way you are!

5 comments:

HawleyFamily said...

I AGREE on the potty training! Diapers are SO much easier! We just had a big day of errands last week and prize mom that I am, forgot that Aaron was not wearing a diaper. Yeah, pee all over the floor in the fabric store. Lovely!

As for the growing up, if you are feeling this with Lily, then I can't wait to read the posts when Michael is growing up! :)

Annie said...

Hey! Reina has a book about Elmo going potty...was that a jab? She just likes to talk about the poopies, not actually coordinate her actions.

I don't know about those full sentences being normal, seems pretty advanced to me. Right now we're excited when we get "more crackers" or "more please" out of our kid, but never 3 words in a row!

Is it advanced to be able to distinguish between "poopies" and "toots"? If so, we've got a genius.

Erin said...

Awww! Have you tried putting her in the freezer at night? Just to, you know, INTERRUPT all that danged GROWING UP?

Kelsey said...

Who wouldn't be advanced if they were trying to keep up with Andrew!!!

Emily said...

I'm right there with ya on the potty training. Katy wants to sit on it constantly, and I just let her sit fully clothed, because I've got enough going on to start THAT battle. Not gonna happen for a while. I don't feel like running up and down the stairs constantly taking her on and off the potty. No thanks. And I know, those 2 year olds start whipping out the skills and they are growing up way too fast!