Thursday, August 21, 2008

Birthday with Andrew

(the present that I'd enjoy more without kids is a computer game that Andrew picked out for himself, I mean for me. I doubt I'll ever get to play it alone ;) )

The scene: Dinner has just finished. Jeff has put Lily to bed and I am upstairs nursing Michael in an attempt to get him down for bed. Andrew and Jeff are preparing the birthday cake.

Andrew runs up the stairs, "Mom, Dad can't find the birthday candles."
G- "Just use those star ones in the pantry"
Andrew runs down the stairs
A minute later, Andrew runs up the stairs, "Mom, we don't have 31 candles."
G-"Well, could we put a group of 3 and then a single one to make the number 31?"
A- "I think we should use just 1. Then there will be 5 left for my birthday in November."
G-"We can always buy more candles, Andrew"
A- "I think we should use just 1."
Andrew runs down the stairs.
A minute later, Andrew runs up the stairs holding a single candle.
A- "Mom, turn on the light."
G-"Andrew, I'm really trying to get Michael to fall asleep. Can you just tell me?"
A-"I picked out the purple star candle for you. It's my least favorite of the 6, so I can have my 5 favorites for my birthday cake."
G-"That's fine."
A- "Have you thought of a wish? You actually get 2 wishes, because this is a star candle. One wish on a star and one birthday wish. Even though I will have 5 candles, I'll still only get 2 wishes. Do you know what you will wish for? You can wish for anything...like maybe, 'I wish my kids would be more calm.' or maybe 'I wish Michael had a crib.' Oh, wait, Michael has a crib. Maybe you could wish that Michael had a bigger crib...you know, something like that. But remember, I will only have to make 2 wishes..."
G-"Andrew, I got it. Can you please go get my cake ready?"

It's random conversations like these that I wish I could freeze frame and remember forever. He was so earnest. Later he made sure I got the first piece of cake. And then he told me that tomorrow would be my birthday too, because Jeff's present hasn't come in the mail yet. He is so sincerely happy for me that it's my birthday. Not a bit of envy or jealousy or anything. He eagerly watched me open my gift...so excited to see my expression. I am in awe of his selflessness and love. How proud and happy I am that he's my son. And how he makes me laugh.

Oh, and Michael did NOT fall asleep. Shocker.

4 comments:

Erin said...

Happy birthday sweetie.

I positively LOVE all these Andrew stories. They are adorable.

Kelsey said...

I LOVE hearing about all your children, but I do love the Andrew conversations. In fact, "The Andrew Conversations" would make a nice title for a book you could throw together in your free time.

Laura said...

So cute! Is Andrew really going to be 6 or 16? Seriously, his conversations blow my mind!

Happy Birthday to you, you definitely deserve 2 wishes and the star candle on your cake!

Laura said...

Okay... re-reading here.... Andrew is really only going to be 5? Not 6 OR 16?

OMG!