Wednesday, August 27, 2008

In a rush...

I'm trying to enjoy each day with my little ones. It's so easy to get buried under the avalanche of dirty diapers, laundry, toys...my God, the toys, clutter, dirt, etc etc. And while I'm struggling to catch some air under that mountain, I find myself thinking, "In just 3 years, Michael will be starting pre-school, and I'll have 2 hours a day to actually DO this stuff."

And then I get sad. (I never said I'm not insane...I'm allowed to be overwhelmed by my chores in one moment and saddened by the prospect of it ending in the next).

I really am trying to just appreciate this stage for what it is. No sports games to go to. Just a few parties. School is only a few hours a day, and laid back...no homework to struggle with in the evenings. The children go to bed early in the evening, so Jeff and I have alone time. They all still believe that their parents can fix anything.

And the kids themselves. Ah, I don't want to forget them either. They drive me crazy sometimes, but just because they're kids. ;) I want to appreciate the great things as well. Magical conversations with Andrew. Playing baseball with him and seeing him actually hit the ball most of the time...amazing. Listen to him get excited when he reads words off of signs ("Does that sign say 'golf' Mommy?") Reading chapter books with him before bed.

Watching Lily's face as she tries to crack us up ("What do you want for breakfast, Lily?" "I eat Pepere." giggles ensue). See her face light up and listen to her cheer after she goes down the "big" slide on our playset. Then listening to her cheer just as loud when Andrew does it. Listening to her put sentences together for the first time ("Daddy come home!"). Watching those chubby little legs bend as she does a somersault all on her own. Listen to her sing her ABC's, missing 3/4 of the letters.

Seeing the adoration of Michael as he gazes at one of us. Watching him suck on his feet (who doesn't love that stage?). Feeling that tense little body straighten and relax as he gets his first few sips of milk. Seeing him pull of the breast and stare drunkenly up at me with a last dribble of milk sliding out of the corner of his mouth. Comfort him when he startles as the loud noises that are constant in our house.

And watching them together. Will there ever again be a time where they love each other this much? Watching Andrew read a book to Lily, stroking her hair as he does it. Watching Lily get a big grin on her face as she leaps on Andrew to tackle him. Andrew chasing Lily, but knowing not to catch her...staying just far enough behind her to allow her to delight in the chase. And when she is chasing, letting her catch him once in a while. Lily sharing her night-night with Michael. Andrew stroking Michael's cheek and talking to him in a sweet baby voice. Lily giggling with glee when she and Michael lay next to each other to get diaper changes. Michael LIGHTING UP whenever one of his siblings is nearby.

Yes, it is hard to see it sometimes, but I'm sure these are the good old days.

2 comments:

Kelsey said...

I'm sure lots of us fail to stop and really appreciate the stage we're in with our little kids because it is just plain hard and most days are such a grind, but I think you're right about the good old days. And it won't it be nice to have these blog posts to remember it all?

CARRIE said...

I agree completely. D always thinks about when the kids are older, like going to Kings Island and stuff.

But I love this time because they are so innocent and actually want to spend time with us (without us dangling rollercoasters and elephant ears as a way to get them to spend time with us).

Even though I get annoyed with G's clinginess and N's 4-year-old attitude at times, it makes me sad to know this time will only last a short while.