Tuesday, September 02, 2008

A letter to my youngest

Dear Michael,

Hello son! You are turning 5 months old soon, and we have something that we need to discuss. I've been putting it off for a while, but the time has come to have this uncomfortable talk.

Let me start by saying you are an awesome baby. I love you so much that sometimes it makes my heart hurt. You are smiley and laid back and you hardly cry at all.

In fact, there are only 2 reasons why you cry. One, if you are hungry...I totally understand and accept this. It is my job to feed you, and you must somehow let me know when it is time to eat. Especially when you are trapped in the car seat, again, and we are running this errand and that. Sometimes Mommy needs a reminder. So that's fine.

But the 2nd reason bring us to our unfortunate discussion. See, you STILL won't lay down for a nap. You insist on being cuddled up with an adult. You have made progress, since for the first two months of your life you wouldn't EVER sleep in a crib. At least now you sleep at night. But it's time to think about napping. You are 5 months old. You are over 16 pounds. You are LONG. And most importantly, you have outgrown your infant carseat. The days of stealing naps in the car are soon going to be gone. You MUST learn to nap in your crib.

Here's how I see it. You keep grabbing 15 minute cat naps at the end of nursing sessions. You wake up IMMEDIATELY upon being laid down. That's not entirely true. Twice (in your whole life), you have slept for 25 minutes once being laid down. With this lack of sleep, you are EXHAUSTED by 5 pm. 5 pm is too early to go to bed for the night.

See, Mommy can't cuddle you for a few hours every afternoon. Don't get me wrong...I'd love to do it. But Lily and Andrew demand attention as well. And you're too heavy to be carried while you sleep. Also, our feet have begun sticking to the floor. And I think the dust bunnies are organizing. I swear they're going to have a revolt and take over the master bedroom. I can almost hear them moving around when I sleep. Someone has to start cleaning again.

Mommy needs you to nap. One in the afternoon, at least. Morning naps will never be a reality for you, I'm afraid, since Andrew has school 4 times a week and I'll be dragging you all over God's green earth (why does his school have to be only 2 1/2 hours a day?)

Okay...I feel better now that we've had this talk. If only you could understand and not cry that pitiful cry when I lay you down, sounding as if I have abandoned you on the streets of New York. I promise I'll come get you after your nap. I miss you when you're gone...I just have to be able to DO something.

Love you always,

Mommy

3 comments:

Emily said...

Oh... I feel for you. I was having this conversation a month ago, and I was STRESSED about it. But after a few miserable days, things were SO SO SO much better. So I hope things get better for you quickly. You're right - you need him to nap at least once a day, a mommy needs a break from those babies.

CARRIE said...

I have the other problem. G is a wonderful napper but has slept at night for longer than five hours.....wait for it....3 times in his 11.5 months of life. Wanna trade (at least for awhile)?

Andrea said...

Joey can teach Michael to nap if Michael can teach Joey to sleep at night!
Kids are adorable! Rachel is starting music class in 2 weeks and I hear you on the looking like the circus train rolling into class!