Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Reality check

I am surrounded by my children almost at all times. They go to bed early, but I am constantly tripping over/sitting on/cleaning up little reminders of them while they sleep.

And yet...sometimes I have an out-of-reality experience where I forget that this is my life.

Like this morning, I was washing my hands after using the facilities. The children were watching tv, so I got to go all by myself...although the door was open so I could race out and save them if necessary. I don't know what I think is going to happen in the 2 seconds that I'm on the commode, or why the door being open is going to save me any time, or why I don't feel similarly compelled to protect them when I am blogging in another room instead of watching them.

I digress. I apologize...my brain is mostly mush after being challenged only by diaper changing and alphabet repetitions for the last 5 years.

I digress again.

So...I was washing my hands. I look at myself in the mirror as I'm doing it. I'm not a big mirror looker...since I don't "do" my hair or "do" makeup, there's really no need...everything is always as rumpled and tired looking as always. No need to check up on anything. But I looked up and saw myself, and my first thought was, "Geez. I need a shower. And, crap, I really need a haircut. Has it really been since March? Yikes. I should just go clean up and head out to the hair cut place. I don't have anything going on today."

1 millisecond passes.

"Oh, yea, I have 3 children. Hence the no shower, hence the no haircut, hence the tired baggy eyes. I was fooled by the 3 seconds of childlessness here in the bathroom. Back to life. Back to reality." (are you all singing that song now?)

Am I the only one with these lapses of reality? Like when I see myself in a photo and I think, "Damn, I'm not really that fat, right?" Or do I really need to worry about my brain functioning? Wait, don't answer that. The reality is, this is my reality. And my brain ain't going to be challenged for another couple of years at least. Excuse me, I need to go read "5 Monkeys Jumpin' on the Bed" for the zillionth time this morning. I can feel another few brain cells dying just anticipating it...

6 comments:

d e v a n said...

I hear ya.

HawleyFamily said...

I'm with ya sister! Alec's homework is starting to kick in so I am sure I will need to step up that brain function at some point!

By the way, I have not had my hair cut since April. Would be nice to have it done for Ashley's birthday party this weekend, but that is clearly not going to happen. Blech.

Michelle said...

I leave the door open too with the same thoughts of saving Katie! You also are not alone on "5 Monkeys Junming on the Bed". We read it to baby at least 10 times a night! Know that you are not alone and I only have one little one:)

Kate said...

I have the exact same experiences-- only I get embarrassed because I'm actually out in public most of the time. My love handles have become wings. I'm getting sun spots. Wrinkles. Gray hair. I need a hair cut. Sometimes I just disgust myself. Sigh. When did I start getting old?

CARRIE said...

I used to love that song.

I'm dowdy too, so I understand.

Andrea said...

yeah I can't even stand to look at pictures of myself anymore - it is that disgusting!!!
And I still work outside the home but honestly I don't know how I get anything done since my brain is full of ABCs and Brown Bear, Brown Bear!!!