Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Yay! October!

Lord, how I love October. All the nice refreshing fall air without the stress of the holidays impending. The only downside is the bees go CRAZY, but every season must have its downers, right?

Next week is Lily's birthday. We finally went shopping last weekend for her present. Actually, we ordered her present on-line, but Andrew needed to go shopping for her. We're just getting her one thing. Is that horrible? It's a big thing (a new Little Tykes kitchen), and I just remember Andrew being so overwhelmed at his 2nd birthday. I know she's going to take one look at the kitchen and not want to do anything else. PLUS, the grandparents will get her gifts. PLUS, her brothers each got her a gift. PLUS, our house is already overflowing with crappola toys. At least I can buy Lily more girlie toys (although the kitchen isn't really that...but whatever). Poor Michael is literally going to get a card and a pat on the back for his birthdays.

Um, do you have some time for bragging? Lily is astonishing me with her language. I no longer read books about child development...okay, I never actually did. I'm pretty sure what she is doing is quite normal for her age, because I hear other kids her age doing similar things. But don't burst my bubble, okay? There's no need for me to realize that she is just average...elementary school will make me see that. So for now I am still ASTONISHED. I really thought that it wouldn't be exciting the second time around. Like, "Gee, wow, you know your ABC's. Well, whoopdie-doo. Your brother is learning to read. How about THEM apples?" But I find that I watch Lily with equal enthusiasm as I did Andrew. She has been singing her ABC's for a couple of weeks now. Very very cute in her little voice. Impressive that she knows a whole song...but let's be honest. She was just memorizing a song that we have repeated a billion times. Then she went one step further to astonish me. Last Sunday, we were wandering around the athletic center waiting for Andrew to finish swim lessons. Lily eagerly approached the customer service desk and began pointing at the sign. She first pointed and said, "O". Which she has recognized for a while. Then she pointed at the C. I asked her what is was and she was correct. Actually, out of the whole two words, "customer service" she only missed the U. I was completely shocked. And it's like that sign opened up a floodgate. She does it ALL THE TIME now. The cutest is how she says "Dubba-you". Apparently she really does know her letters.

Michael is taking a break from his nice sleeping pattern. For 3 weeks he was sleeping from 6 pm to 6 am. The first few days I crept around trying to replicate our bedtime routine so precisely in the hopes he would again sleep well. Then I got more relaxed. I started staying up later because I knew a good night's sleep was in store. I planned evening outings with friends, because, again, I knew I could stay up a bit later. Then I made a fatal error last Thursday. I had a friend over to cross-stitch after dinner (I know, rockin' and cool...go ahead and judge me, see if I care). I was bold enough to actually speak the words, "Oh, yes, Michael sleeps great now. Usually 12 hours." And Thursday night he was up every 3 hours. On the button. Friday night was the same. Saturday. Sunday. I am weeping over here. I was so enjoying feeling human again. MICHAEL! You're in big trouble, Mister. Grrrrr.

Um, what else not funny or interesting can I tell you? Ach, I don't know. Will. be. more. inspired. tomorrow. (If Mikey sleeps...)

4 comments:

d e v a n said...

Ah, how cute. It's not bad to only get one gift. I'm sure she'll love it!

Kate said...

OMG! Lily knows her letters already. Colin is headed for short bus USA. Not that being smart is important. He could still go into politics.

bluedaisy said...

Lily sounds pretty darn smart to me. My older son was 2 in June and I don't know if he can identify more than 2 letters? I was thrilled when he saw the word "Push" on the bottom of his crib rail and said "look, alphabet". I better break out the flash cards- LOL. If only they could learn this naturally for the rest of their lives! GO LILY!!

Giselle said...

Oh, Kate...your comment almost made me snort oatmeal out of my nose. I was NOT expecting that political dig at the end...ha ha ha.