Sunday, October 12, 2008

Help with transitions

Mother Nature really tries to help get mothers ready for major transitions with our children. The longer I am a mother, the more convinced I am of this.

The second trimester of pregnancy is fun for most people. You look pregnant, not fat. You can feel the baby move and you generally feel good. But for the last month (or more) you are unable to sleep for long stretches. You may accidentally pee when you laugh or walk quickly. You can only eat small meals because your stomach is so cramped. Baby comes. You are unable to sleep for long stretches. You may accidentally pee when you laugh or walk quickly. You can only eat small meals because the baby is so damn needy there is no time for a long leisurely gluttonous meal. Mother Nature has prepared you in some small way for this transition.

Nursing a baby at 5 months old is heaven. Everybody knows what they are doing, there is no pain, and the baby can get it over and done with quickly...no more marathon 45 minutes nursing sessions. There is much cuddling and bonding and much satisfaction that you are supplying the baby with everything he or she needs. You can't imagine ever stopping, because it is just so friggin' fabulous. Then the solid foods and the mobility and the teeth comes and the baby is pulling off suddenly and exposing your breast to all of humanity and stretching your nipple off as he tries to nurse and look around and -ach- trying out those teeth on your most tender body part. And by the time a year comes around, DAMN, you are ready to stop nursing. Or if you are me, that happens around 9 months. Mother nature has prepared you.

But, see it never stops. The wonderful elementary age makes you love your child so much that you somehow don't kill your pre-teens. I'm sure the crazy teenage years make you all too ready to boot your darling baby out the door to college. For the last year, Andrew has been so much fun. I like talking with him and playing games with him, etc etc. But he is getting more restless and bored with our games. He craves the attention and companionship of other kids his age. He gets easily frustrated and angry when I try to teach him anything. He refuses to leave the house without a fight, and then acts bored and needy when we're at home. Is my child turning into someone I don't want to be with? I prefer to think it is Mother Nature once again, preparing me for the start of Andrew's full-time school career. By the time Kindergarten comes, I'll eagerly and happily wave him off to someone else, so they can entertain him and educate him for 6 hours a day. Wait, there's only half day Kindergarten here? That means only 2 1/2 hours of school. That's just like now. I have to wait another 2 years until the full day school?

Wait! Mother Nature! You've started the preparation WAY too early. How am I to survive/let Andrew survive that long? I'm prepared now!

2 comments:

d e v a n said...

Good Post. Mother Nature may be a B*tch sometimes, but she seems to know what she's doing.

CARRIE said...

N started on that "pain in the ass" to be with phase over the summer. It saddens me a bit that I have gotten to the point where I can't imagine having to spend all day, every day for an entire week in her company. It used to be I couldn't imagine her being away from me, and now, I know by next August, I will be TOTALLY ready for her to be away from me 5 days a week.