Saturday, October 25, 2008

A library card

Today was a very exciting day. Andrew got his first library card! This may seem really lame to many of you, but I have had a long love affair with the library. For as long as I can remember, I have loved walking down aisles of shelves full of books. Just the smell of books makes me happy. And it is free! Oh! The joy of the library! It is a cheap girl's dream! I watched Oprah last week and she was talking about the Kindle (electronic book) and I was totally hooked. It looks awesome. Oprah lost me when she started talking about how much money you would save on books by buying this thing, though. Why spend $400 of the machine and then more money on each book? I can read for FREE at the library. Sure, sometimes I have to wait a week or two for new releases. But it is FREE.

You get the idea. I drag all 3 of my kids to the library each week...because I find it peaceful and wonderful and I just love the library. And we don't even have a very nice library...you people in Ohio are SPOILED. Today I took just Andrew because I am OUT. OF. BOOKS. and it is driving me crazy. And we decided it was time. And as pathetic and lame as it sounds, I was brimming with pride as I watched him write his name on the little white space on his library card. And it makes me so happy that HE was so thrilled. He picked out 3 books and was so excited to hand his card to the librarian to check them out all by himself. He even ran inside once we got home to show Jeff.

Want more proof that I am lame? I was almost giddy with excitement today when I found ground turkey for $1.50 a pound. Giddy. I bought a ton (it is stew/chili/soup/meatloaf season!).

Oh, yes, and I was almost kissing Michael to suffocation because he actually swallowed 2 bites of cereal this morning.

Lily? She hasn't really excited or thrilled me this week. It's been a LONG week. To just sum it up in one conversation with her, here's an excerpt from this morning.

"EAT! ELSE TO EAT!"
"Okay, Lily, waffles are ready. Let's get in your chair to eat the waffles!"
"AFFLES! DIP!"
"Yes, I'll get the syrup to dip in. Come here, Lily, let's get in your chair."
"NO! PLAY LETTERS!"
"Okay, well I'm going to eat."
As I sit down, she comes yelling over to me, "EAT! CHAIR! AFFLES!!!! AAAAAAHHHHHH!" I try to pick her up to put her in her chair and she flails and fights me.
"Lily. Do you want to eat? Yes or no?"
"YESNO. YESNO. YESNO."

-sigh- 50 weeks to go until she's 3.

4 comments:

CARRIE said...

I love the library as well. When I take the kids, I bring the stroller to carry the big ass bag of books we check out... usually about 25-30 at a time....but we don't go every week.

Annie said...

Nah, you're not lame. I think the library card excitement is totally awesome! And, forgive me for using the term dork, but dorky kids make the best grown-ups, in my opinion.

As for Lily, glad to see Reina isn't the only one who cannot make up her mind but will adamantly fight for her indecision.

Kelsey said...

I'm so excited for Andrew. I was just thinking the other day about whether Harper was old enough to get a card, but it would be neat to tie it in with a special day. I'll have to check and see if our library has rules about that.

Do you ever read "chapter" books to Andrew? I'm pretty sure there is a chapter about Ramona Quimby getting a library card, either in Beezus and Ramona or in Ramona the Pest. I have all the Ramona books here so let me know if you want me to check!

Andrea said...

Don't say I didn't warn you about the girlie 2s! Amazing how they can want and not want something at exactly the same time!!!