Thursday, September 04, 2008

Photo horrors

Ugh. What a morning. If you don't feel like hearing a whiny post...then stop reading now!

Okay, so Michael has never had professional portraits taken. No birth announcements. Nothing. Nada. He is almost 5 months old...I gotta take him in. I am totally overwhelmed with the thought of taking the 3 kids into the tiny JC Penney studio by myself.

But today was the day. I just couldn't put it off any longer. I scheduled the first appointment of the day (10am). That way they can't be running behind. The primary goal was shots of Michael, secondary goal shots of Lily (she is almost 2!) and tertiary goal of all 3 together.

Let's pause from this commentary to all chuckle at my optimism.

Okay, have you collected yourself?

This morning I managed to feed and bathe each child, dress them in cute dress-up clothes, and pack them into the car. I got a diaper bag all ready with extra outfits for all 3 JUST IN CASE. I timed the feeding of the baby so that he could take a short nap on the way to the mall so he would be not hungry, not spitty, not tired for the photo shoot. Lily's hair was JUST SO. She was given all kinds of bribes and distractions in the car so she would not tear out her perfect hair.

We got to the mall...15 minutes early. Michael had blown through his outfit...yay me for packing an extra! I got out the stroller to put Lily in...and...oh heaven's no...I've left the Baby Bjorn behind. CRAP. So now I have one single stroller for 3 children. Okay, Andrew doesn't count, but still. CRAP. There's no turning back now, so I put Michael in the stroller and let Lily walk. Oh the humanity.

Here are my complaints about the JC Penney Portrait Studios. Apparently, they have a new camera. It takes 15 minutes to load up and get ready. But their single employee doesn't arrive until 10 am. So guess the earliest my 10am photo appointment can possibly start. 10:15. This doesn't seem like a big deal to someone who has not perfectly timed everything for 3 small children. But 15 minutes is a LIFETIME to someone like me. Michael did not sleep in the car. So we were acting on borrowed time. Lily has the patience of a fruit fly. Borrowed time, people. Then...THEN...the single employee decides to ANSWER THE GODDAMN PHONE. I called 4 times last Thursday and never had anyone answer the phone. But since I'm standing there with my 3 impatient children and the camera is FINALLY ready, she thought it was a great time to answer. And of course it was someone with a complaint. So it took 15 minutes. So now it's 10:30.

Michael did get his pictures taken. Andrew sat in and I got a delightful shot of the boys together. But Lily? Cute Lily with the perfect hair? By 10:30, she was devastatingly bored and throwing a tantrum on the floor. In between pulling her hair out, that is. So I pull out my bribery snack and the photographer says, get THIS, she says, "Okay, come back in 15 minutes and I'll show them to you on the computer." WHHHHAAAAAATTTTT? I'm in a GD JC Penney. What am I supposed to do with my 3 children for 15 minutes...shop??? Plus, the next people will be getting their photos by that time, and who is going to show me the pictures when there is only ONE EMPLOYEE?

But I am meek. I hate confrontation. So I wandered around the store and came back. Lily is making escape attempts constantly. Michael is fussing in the stroller. Andrew is trying to make his siblings laugh by running full speed into the walls. Oi Vey. And the lady calmly tries to tell me about their special combo shots even after I tell her that I just want the basic sheets. Dear God, can she not see my children falling apart?

It was a disaster. So I tell my Michael and my Lily and my Andrew...if you are reading this as adults and you have always made fun of your mother for not hanging beautiful portraits of her family around the house...This is why. Now you know.

8 comments:

Michelle said...

I can SO VISUALIZE this and I feel so sorry for you How brave you were to try!!! Huge task!

Anonymous said...

(this is Beth from high school band)

I enjoy your blog so much, and I have never commented before but OH MY GOD you are so right about JC Penney. I have only 1 child and every time I have taken her there it has been a nightmare. I do NOT get why they set it up that way. I actually called and complained last time (I called the main number) and they sent me a coupon for three free sheets for my trouble.

Anonymous said...

I rest my case. Now you know why there are no pictures of you. You hated the photographers and screamed every time. It was torture for you. We have snap shots on slides.

Erin said...

You deserve major bonus points for just TRYING. You are brave.

If it makes you feel any better, I have not taken EITHER of my boys to get professional photos taken. I don't plan on it in the future, either. BECAUSE I SUCK.

HawleyFamily said...

WOW!! It is good to know that JC Penney is the same all the way accross the united states. I have the same MAJOR issues with them but unfortunately they are the cheapist around which usually wins out with our current financial position! Been there with ya sister!!! BRUTAL with three kids taking pics!

Kate said...

Mau I recommend a company called Photo Innovations that sprecializes in children? They ROCK-- get you in and out and have stuff for the kids to do while you wait and move the camera around your child instead of expecting them to sit still. Pretty sure Philly area has a couple. On a brighter note-- at least you have good photos from the beach!

Kate said...

Okay, Portrait Innovations:

http://www.portraitinnovations.com/find_a_location/?state_abbr=PA

Andrea said...

Even me, (with no kids)can see how that's a bad set up! And while it may be nice that they gave Beth coupons when she complained, it seems that they still do nothing to actually solve the problem. Crazy! Sorry it didn't work out, but the good news is with kids as cute as yours, they're bound to slip into good photos (even if not all together). And I know the grandparents take lots when they visit! :)