Monday, May 04, 2009

A fun mom

Andrew's siblings have really been irritating him. They prevent him from getting to do things when they take naps, they get into his stuff when they're awake, and they aren't tough enough to wrestle with (without him getting into trouble, that is).

He's taken to contemplating being an only child. Here's an excerpt from a conversation with him last week:

A- "Mom, I really wonder what it would be like to be just you and me and Dad. Sometimes I think it would be nice."
Me- "No one would get into your toys, bug you, and stuff, huh? But think how much fun you had playing pretend with Lily this morning. Think of your cousin Colin. He never has a brother or sister to play with."
A- "Yah, that's true. But he has a fun mom."


Ouch.

But since he's been feeling a bit neglected as of late, he and I went on a date yesterday afternoon. We went and saw "Earth", the Disney Nature film. It was FANTASTIC. Andrew ate an entire bag of Twistlers (?!?), drank Coke, and must have thanked me 1,000 times for taking him. We had so much fun. And we are still talking about the movie today. Reminded me that I need to get out with him alone more...so we can learn to appreciate each other.

3 comments:

Erin said...

I NEVER regret one-on-one time with my boys. Even little Emmett, I get some better quality time with him alone. I think that only gets more so as they get older. Of course, it's HARD to get them one-on-one, and it's more important to be together as a family, but it's also worth it if you can swing getting them one at a time for a while.

Mary O said...

I crave that one-on-one time with my kids, but it is so hard to get! That is awesome that A was so appreciative of your "date". What a sweetheart.

Kate said...

Colin's mom isn't nearly as fun after a day at work. Colin really wishes he had a _big_ brother-- but that's not something I can help him with!