Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Sick and whiny

It all started with Lily. Darn little hand-licking typhoid-Lily. It's just a head cold. Nothing serious. But it is POTENT. Sweeping through our house. Lily was bleary-eyed and shuffling Saturday-Monday. I started feeling it Sunday night and spent all day yesterday in a fog. This morning Andrew woke up with a barking cough and runny nose. Luckily, it seems to be quick moving. It had BETTER be quick moving, since we are having a metric ton of mulch dumped on our driveway Friday afternoon. I'm only slightly exaggerating...we decided to only do the front yard after we measured and discovered that it will cost almost $300 just for the front flower beds...that's how much area there is. Ask me how we plan on spreading said mulch with 3 children running around. I don't know. We'll just be doing it until midnight or something. But we HAVE to do mulch...it is our 3rd summer here and we've never done it. I've been weeding and clearing the gi-normous flower beds that the previous owners delighted in (and are the bane of my existence) for weeks. It has to be done in 15 minute increments. Pull a few weeds, run over and take a paint brush out of Michael's mouth. Pull another couple of weeds, put a band aid on Lily's knee after she falls for the 100th time. Pull another couple of weeds, take sand out of Michael's mouth. Etc etc. Anyhoo...just LOVE yard work. I figure we'll get rid of the mountain of mulch by June 2012.

Some randoms:

While I was dinnering with my friends, Lily pooped on the potty. Really pooped...as in, she was dancing around naked after her bath (timer go beep beep I get dressed), and she suddenly told Jeff that she needed the potty. Once placed up on the potty she shooed Jeff away, just like she does when she's going in her diaper. Sure enough, success! Jeff made sure to tell me when I got home, so that I could make a big deal of it in the morning. Yesterday morning, I went to get her and I said, "Lily! Daddy told me you did something very exciting last night!" She looked confused and then her face lit up, "I eat cupcakes!" Not quite.

Michael desperately loves his siblings. Despite the fact that they are not very nice. Lily very very occasionally will play peek-a-boo with him. He LIVES for this. Last night she grabbed a Frisbee off the floor (hello, house of clutter?), and peek-a-booed with him half a dozen times. For the next hour, he kept bringing it to her and dropping it in her lap. She would throw it away and say No, Mike. And he'd go get it and bring it back...desperate for just one more turn with the peek-a-boo.

Also about Mikey....he has this really cute habit. He has started getting frustrated with things...like when the baby stroller goes to fast for him to walk behind, or the block won't fit in the bowl, etc etc. When he gets really really frustrated, he doesn't scream or throw the toy or cry. He lays down on the floor in defeat. All stretched out with his head resting on the carpet. It is the cutest thing in the world. My gentle, laid-back boy.

Andrew has really been eating more variety lately. Finally! We have always made him try one bite of what we are eating, and then we would make him PB&J. Since January, he's had to make his own sandwich. Except that he is really liking our food more. He ate 3 asparagus the other night! And half a fillet of salmon! And baked beans! And tuna casserole! Not in the same meal, don't worry. The only downside of this is the rubbing in he does to his sister. Because she has to try one bite also, but she screams for a full 30 minutes every night in anticipation of this one bite. Every. Night. SCREAMING for 30 minutes. Then she'll take her bite with big crocodile tears rolling down her face and she chews it as if she is a contestant on Fear Factor. Meanwhile, Andrew is in the background saying, "Look, Lily. I really like it. It is so yummy, I'm really eating it good." Ugh. Pat yourself on the back a bit more, son. (for your information, this is my mother's greatest delight, as I used to do the SAME thing to my older sister when I was this age.)

Nothing else today! Must go down some more Sudafed! Yippee! Druggie high for the rest of the morning!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

So sorry about the colds! Go Andrew! Jaxson ate a SAUSAGE Stick this weekend. And then another. Meat! Kinda! I lived one those when I was pregnant with him. Good luck with the mulch. That was never my favorite project.

Kelsey said...

The illness thing is so much worse when there are multiple children and Lily is in a horrifying germ-carrier age group!

I hear you on the yard -we're the worst yard owners every. How I would love to find a 2,000 square foot condo to move into and let someone ELSE do all of that! We actually do pay someone to mow our yard -which sounds terrible, but with Matt gone at least four nights out of every week it just isn't happening.

Good luck with the mulch!

Anonymous said...

The RETIRED couple who we bought the La Habra house from loved to garden. He would get up at 4a.m. to start watering everything. Not to mention all the weeding/pruning/mowing...UGH...who has time for that?!!

I recommend our current backyard...nothing but cement and dirt. Of course, the dirt gets tracked into the house...wait, I don't clean my floors, so who cares;)

Maybe if you leave the mulch in your driveway long enough a neighbor will get sick of it and finish the job for you:)