Saturday, May 23, 2009

Yard work with 3 kids under 6...a How To...

Step 1: Recognize the need to do yard work. An easy way to tell? If you haven't done any yard work for 3 years in a row...you probably need to do some. Our problem? Weeds and no mulch left. Although enough mulch for the dog to track in the house.

Before shots. I wish I'd taken some pictures before I'd spent 10 days weeding these enormous beds. I filled 7-9 huge plastic bags...with just weeds. Scary.
We did NOT tackle the entire backyard. This is the top of our hill. Somewhere under all that is a nice paved patio with lights and a fence. Scary. That is our Everest. Maybe when the kids are teenagers (read=free labor)

More before shots

My poor barren mailbox.

Imagine covered in thistles and these annoying vines. My back aches just looking at it.



Step 2: Order a pile of mulch larger than your first born child. Have dumped in parking area so you are forced to deal with it immediately.



Step 3: Start working hard...or find someone else to. Have a few heart attacks when your husband lets the 5 year old play with the pitchfork on top of the mountain of mulch.




Hey? Isn't that big guy supposed to be working? Is he drinking a glass of water while the 5 year old toils?
Step 4: Provide lots of outdoor toys, so the children stay happy while their parents ignore them. Oh. And it helps to order up a weekend of picture perfect spring weather.


The lazy fireman. He has his feet up so they don't touch the grass ;)

Hey! There's that big guy again. Why is he playing football instead of pulling weeds?

Step 5: While the adults are pre-occupied, have 5 year old steal camera. And take 63 photos before you catch him.


New shoes bought because old ones were destroyed by mountain of mulch.


Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to post some "after" shots. :)

3 comments:

CARRIE said...

Hilarious. Will be using these tips, I'm sure!

Kate said...

I HAVE to say that your "before" shots look better than most of my "after" shots. Why didn't we get mom's green thumb? My flowers already want to die...

Mom said...

Mom's green thumb??? Are you talking about the Mom who puts in perennials like annuals? I just put in $100 worth of flowers then went away for a long weekend. NOT looking good!