Monday, July 19, 2010

SSC Week 5

So I planned a whole week for last week, but with the storms on Tuesday and Wednesday and the construction in the kitchen and just our general malaise as we re-adjusted to life while not on vacation...it was kind of a bust. The only thing we successfully did on the whole schedule was the lemonade stand and painting sun catchers and taking a trip to a fountain park in Jersey. Driving in Jersey turned out to be everything I thought it would be. Jer-sey....

For this week:

Monday- Macaroni Color Shake- seperate dried macaroni into ziploc baggies. Add a few drops of food coloring and shake to dye the pasta. Use to make necklaces or glue on paper for pasta murals.

Tuesday- ABC Scavenger hunt/nature hike- Go to a new park and take a walk. Look for items for each letter of the alphabet. I plan on counting adjectives (Q- a Quick butterfly...)

Wednesday- Puddle prints- make watercolors by mixing food coloring and water. use a medicine dropper to drop different colors onto plastic page protectors. leave out in sun to dry. when dry, cut into shapes and punch a hole in top to hang in windows.

While puddle prints are drying, we are going to make boats out of sponges and straws. Cut sponge into triangle and poke straw through middle. Attach construction paper to straw as a sail. Float :) Race...whatever.

Thursday- Take a trip...either to Jeff's office in downtown Philly (his office is across the street from the Liberty Bell) or to the shore to visit my friend who has a house there. (insert image of me shaking my fist and muttering Jersey!)

Friday- Shadow delivery day. My in-laws may or may not be coming this day to bring Shadow back to us. Depends on my FIL's work schedule. If they are here, we'll go to Sesame Place. If not, we'll make puzzles out of old calendar pages. And maybe do smelly painting (make watercolors of water and powdered drink mix. paint. when dry the pictures are supposed to smell like the Kool-aid flavors)



The only part of this summer thing that isn't working at all is making Andrew write. He hates it. He fights me on it every single day. And he desperately needs practice. Last week he refused. So I took down the SSC schedule and told him that I was not going to do it anymore. He asked why, and I told him that if I took the time to plan and execute activites for him then he should take the time to practice writing. He sat down and wrote his name 5 times...a bit of a compromise. The whole cool summer journal I had planned is pretty much a bust. Ugh.

No comments: