Saturday, August 21, 2010

33

So far another lovely birthday...although I'm feeling the twinges of a mid-life crisis coming along. Perhaps a pre-mid-life crisis, since I'm only 33 afterall. Found my first gray hair a few weeks ago. My back is achy today. Seriously. Feeling old.



Anyhoo, the kids were hopping eager for me to open the gifts they picked out all by themselves. Lily's was wrapped in a biggish box, and when I ripped the paper off, I saw it was a granola box. Lily's face when she saw the box was possibly my favorite part of the morning. Her eyes widened in disbelief and she started slowly shaking her head. I could almost hear her thinking, "I don't THINK I got Mom cereal...did I?" Inside the box were the actual gifts from Lily. She got me a brand new green watch. My watch band is broken, and Jeff said that Lily thought of this idea herself because she'd noticed I needed a new watch. I am so touched...because Lily actually thought of an appropriate gift and didn't just grab the first thing she saw in the store (like at Christmas when she grabbed a roll of wrapping paper to be Jeff's gift). Unfortunately, the only green watch they had is exceptionally cheap...I hope it lasts as long as her attention span. :) She also wanted to get me new earrings...and she picked out these dangly and sparkly pink and purple doo-dads. I promptly put them on to show off, and Andrew said, "Oh! Mom! They make you so beautiful." Perhaps wearing more jewelry is in store.

Andrew apparently just walked in the store wanting to get me something new for my new kitchen. After grabbing a set of flatware, Jeff stopped him and asked to think of something that I need and would enjoy in my kitchen. I ended up getting some very nice wine glasses (those giant ones that people in movies always drink out of) and a hand grater. I have a feeling that Jeff nudged him towards one of those and let him have free reign for the other.

Michael didn't go on the shopping trip for me. I'm sure he would have gotten me a very nice 5 pack of Matchbox cars or perhaps a box of Froot Loops.

Jeff got me a book that I asked for. Actually, I sent him the Amazon link while he was at work with the subject title, "Get this for my birthday."

We went to Bowmen's Hill Tower, a big tower built in Washington's Crossing Park that I've been wanting to go up. It was crystal clear and the views were incredible. The kids lasted about 5 minutes up there...which was really disappointing, but expected. Then we hiked around the Bowman's Wildflower Preserve for an hour or so. Mostly finding acorns and "teeny tiny pine cones." It was the perfect temperature, the kids were moderately enthusiastic...a successful and lovely morning.

While Michael napped, I read my new book. Now Jeff is baking my take-n-bake pizza that I requested. No mess to clean up in the kitchen...no debacle at a restaurant. Later we will have my cake from the bakery we love...chocolate with raspberry filling and butter cream frosting. I almost had to order it myself, but Jeff was gracious enough to humor his wife and call it in from work. Oh, and I'll be drinking wine with my pizza in my new glasses and grating fresh mozzerella on my pizza while looking at my new watch for the time and wearing my new earrings. Because when children get you presents, you are expected to use them...pronto!

A good birthday!

3 comments:

d e v a n said...

Sounds like a bang up birthday to me!! HAPPY 33rd!

Kelsey said...

I'm glad it's been a good day Giselle - love the gifts the kiddos picked out!

Anonymous said...

I was expecting Lily to get you a Barbie or something equally entertaining. Very impressive that she was so thoughtful, as was Andrew. A new book and not having to cook dinner, sounds like a great day!