Thursday, August 26, 2010

Meet the Teacher

Today we got to go meet Andrew's 1st grade teacher. Jeff was working at home, and since Michael was sleeping, I left him behind and only took Lily with me. Joy. :)

We had to park quite a ways away from the school, since it was Open House for all the students grades 1-6. At 4-5 classes per grade...that's a lot of students showing up at the same time. Andrew showed no trepidation, walking calmly in and saying hello to random people that he saw.

We walk in the front doors, and I realize that I have no idea where the 1st grade classrooms are. And there are no signs directing you. No worries, of course, as Andrew confidently led me back to the correct area.

And his teacher greeted us. And she is wonderful. I love her already. She is one of those people that you can tell at first glance has found her calling in life. She gets down and really talks to the kids and asks meaningful questions. She encouraged Andrew to find a desk that fit him, guiding him gently towards the one group of desks that was a bit taller than all the rest. Not exclaiming how tall he is, like every other adult in the world. He got busy getting his desk ready, filling out a name plate and putting his school supplies away. He walked around the room and fingered all the book shelves and charts and looked at their very own private bathroom. I asked if he was ready to go, and he said he wanted to ask the teacher a few things.

Here we go. So he talked to her for several minutes while I tried to keep Lily from screaming. I have no idea what he talked about, but the parents standing nearby were grinning pretty big. Oh, Lordy.

Then his buddy from t-ball walked in, and Andrew ran over and gave him a bear hug and then pretty much forced him to pick the desk right next to him and then gave him a tour of the classroom like he was a mentally retarded squirrel or something. Oh, Lordy.

Then I forced him to leave...he wanted to stay for the whole 45 minutes, but Lily was ready to go postal. As we are walking the halls to leave, Andrew saw all these kids from last year. He's yelling out to them, giving them hugs, high fiving them. Even the autistic boy...who looked rather uncomfortable as Andrew attempted to hug him. All the parents were exclaiming, "Oh! It's the famous Andrew. We've heard all about him. He's the smartest/nicest/tallest boy!" Like he's this celebrity from Kindergarten.

And he beamed. And asked if he could start school tomorrow.

And I'm not as sad for Monday, because I'm so excited for him. This is HIS place in the world. With his own friends and his own desk and his own reputation to build. And I'm so sad for myself, but I am also so so so proud to let this little guy loose. I can't wait for the world to love him as much as I do.

1 comment:

Kelsey said...

I feel so proud of Andrew on your behalf Giselle. I hope kindergarten goes half as well for Harper as it did for him.

Reading about your meet the teacher day makes me miss teaching first grade - I would have loved having Andrew in my class. :-)