Monday, August 30, 2010

First day drama

-enter sappy emotional post here-

Our morning was not what I expected.

Andrew was up and ready for school by 7:45. Bus doesn't come until 8:45.

Walk outside to take first day pictures. Head shot because he has so many loose teeth, I'm sure that the end of the year picture will look totally different.


Go to put the camera back inside. Locked out. Jeff locks the door from the house to the garage and I don't. When it is locked, you can open it from the inside and it locks behind you. I hate this, so I don't lock it. So since he got back late last night, he locked it. And no one unlocked it this morning.
-
So I am outside with a dog, 3 kids, and no keys, no purse, car locked, windows locked, screen doors locked.
-
All of the neighbors that I know work full time and are already gone for the day.
-
So...I spent 20 minutes cursing under my breath while Andrew worried about us being stuck outside all day. I tried every window on the first floor...all locked. Except for the one over the kitchen sink, but I can't even open it from the inside, so from the outside was a joke. I'm contemplating which would be better...walking to a store (a few miles away) to ask to use a phone and have Jeff come home from downtown (an hour away) to let me in? Or breaking a window. Not good options.
-
Then I remembered that the front door was unlocked, just the screen door was locked. So I found something sharp in the garage and cut the screen and voila! Into the house. A cut screen seemed better than my other options.
-
Then we ran to the bus stop. And the bus was late so we didn't need to worry. And I was still so frazzled, it didn't even hit me until he was waving from the bus. My baby. Gone all day.
-
-
-enter more sappy emotional stuff here-

2 comments:

Kelsey said...

I'm really interested to hear how the rest of the day went, for you and for Andrew.

So sorry about the house thing - what a pain! Maybe you guys can hide a key somewhere???

CARRIE said...

Maybe it was divine intervention that you were locked out because otherwise you would have felt all sad and an emotional wreck all day. But the being locked out discombobulated you in a different way so you didn't get all weepy.