Wednesday, September 01, 2010

The first few days

Not to leave you hanging...we haven't locked ourselves out again...I'm just not at the computer as much.

Andrew has had 2 wonderful days at school. Except for the heat. His school has no air-conditioning, so he comes home with sweat plastered to his head and begs for glass after glass of ice cold water. This is the boy who doesn't drink much. Poor kid. True to form, Andrew doesn't seem to be making any friends in his class. Last year, it took him a month to learn anybody's name because he was concentrating on the new routines and rules so much. This year I'm not worrying about it...Andrew's gotta do what Andrew's gotta do.

Oh, and I think I may be in love with Andrew's teacher. Yesterday he brought in a giant paper bag filled with 8 personal items to share with the class. You would not believe how difficult this was for him...he put his 2 favorite stuffed animals in and then was stumped. I incredulously suggested something football related...how could he not think of that? Or maybe a computer game? Or Pokemon? Anyway, we got it all together and he took it in. He got off the bus yesterday afternoon with puffy red eyes. Apparently he left the paper bag behind when the class left to get in the bus lines in the cafeteria. Mrs. C wouldn't let him run back to the classroom to retrieve his bag. Andrew just sobbed in line. So Mrs. C ran back to the classroom and got it for him (in the 90 degree heat...and she must be in her late 50s/early 60s). Andrew told me, "I've learned not to bring any valuables to school"...he was so upset because his kangaroo was in the bag. And more likely because he was exhausted at the end of the day.

I sent an e-mail to Mrs. C to thank her for running to get it and to promise that we wouldn't send the family valuables to school again. She wrote right back and said, "It did give me some extra exercise for the day! Your Andrew is just the sweetest little boy; a real asset to our class. I couldn't watch him sob waiting for the bus; it broke my heart."

So I think I love her.

On the home front, I am floundering a bit as to what to do all day with the littles. The morning is fine...we have gone on errands and played outside a lot. But the errands are so much harder without Andrew...Lily and Michael fighting is very different than Lily and Andrew fighting. Michael just isn't rational. And then the afternoons...oh Lord help me. I was so spoiled this summer with Andrew and Lily playing while Michael napped. Yesterday during Michael's nap, Lily and I:

-made glue and bean pictures
-did a princess puzzle
-played a animal habitat puzzle game
-read Highlights magazine
-played neighbor
-played Uno
-watched a video
-sat around and looked at our navels

Seriously. So boring. I know she will get used to playing by herself eventually, but GOD. Until then we are adjusting.

When Andrew comes home, she pounces on him. And so far (the last 2 days), they are inseparable. The first day they sat on the couch hip to hip and read books together for an hour. Yesterday they went up and played Pokemon on my bed for about an hour. I didn't cry while he was at school, but seeing them reunited made me tear up. My babies...friends...

So that's that. Lily doesn't start school for a few weeks, but I know that will make our routine better...it will wear her out 3 days a week so our afternoons are quieter. ;)

2 comments:

CARRIE said...

I am already dreading the day when G gives up his naps.

Navals can be riveting, ya know.

Kelsey said...

I'm glad that you really like Andrew's teacher and she loves Andrew. I feel like I keep waiting to have a great teacher experience. Harper, in my opinion, is largely under-appreciated! :-)

But Harper LOVES her teacher I guess, so that's a good thing. I suppose it doesn't matter if I love her.

Sigh. Someday my kids will play nicely, right?