Tuesday, September 07, 2010

The *surprise* anniversary party
















So, yah, I kind of didn't mention that we were headed to Ohio for Labor Day weekend to celebrate my in-laws 40th wedding anniversary. (one of the main reasons I went ape-shit crazy when Jeff told me he thought he'd take a longer business trip last week...) I couldn't say anything because, you know, my MIL reads this...and she wasn't supposed to know. My SIL kind of took care of things and our big responsibility was to show up. So on Friday, I drove to Ohio with the 2 littles...by myself, like a big girl. And Jeff and Andrew flew in after school was over.

There were many many surprises throughout the weekend.

The 40th Wedding Anniversary Surprise

Setting:
Smallish town, Ohio; where my in-laws have lived for almost 40 years, where Jeff and siblings grew up, where everyone is connected like some kind of 7 degrees of Kevin Bacon game.

Cast of Characters:
Linda- Mother-in-law extraordinaire. She had taken the day off Friday to recover from a late night out partying. (her version would say she was out late at the Buckeye Game the night before...for her version, read her blog. Oh, wait...she doesn't have one. Guess you'll have to believe my version)

Paul- Father-in-law extraordinaire. He had to work on Friday, even though he was also out partying late the night before. He was no doubt looking forward to a quiet holiday weekend to work out in the yard, sleep in late, read the paper cover to cover, and watch whatever he wanted on tv.

Sara- Jeff's sister and baby of the family. Although she lives in Austin with her husband (who couldn't be there, since he was busy in Chicago becoming the national champ in Gaelic football), Sara managed to pull this whole thing off. With some help from the extended family of women who live locally. Okay, probably with a lot of help. I hope. Or else Sara is some kind of super woman.

Chad- Jeff's brother, who also lives in Texas. Chad was already planning on being in Ohio 2 weekends in September and is busy getting ready for his wedding in October. But he managed to finagle this weekend into a business trip. Genius. Although his sweet fiance Monica couldn't come because she is also coming 2 times this month...and couldn't manage to make this one. Bummer.


Surprise #1:
Friday afternoon, Linda was nursing a hangover from the night before. Okay, not really. But she was peacefully puttering around the house on her day off. At about 3:30pm, the doorbell rang. Odd. There stood her baby daughter from Texas with a suitcase. Linda immediately thought she has left her husband and come running home. Then Sara brought in groceries. Linda got suspicious. After grilling Sara and even using her middle name multiple times, the super sleuth figured out that Jeff and family are also coming...all from seeing a box of Cheerios in the groceries.

Surprise #2:
Linda was not so surprised when Lily, Michael, and I pulled into the driveway around 4:30, due the Cheerios reveal. I was excited, because she greeted me and told me that her house was such a mess because she wasn't expecting company. I was excited because she always sees my house a mess...but I was disappointed. By "mess" she meant there was a pillow on the ground. Or perhaps it was the fact that the beds were made, but the sheets weren't fresh. Apparently my version of "mess" is at a different level than most. ;) After Lily and Michael started in on REALLY making the house a mess, I parked my car down the street and we hid on the porch because Paul was due home at any time. We were supposed to figure out a way to surprise him, but instead we got to talking...and he just kind of found us out on the porch. Surprise! Later he had to put the crib together and then drive all the way to the airport to get Jeff and Andrew. Nothing says, "Happy Anniversary" quite like showing up and making demands.

Surprise #3:
Linda kept saying how perfect it would be if only Chad could have come. But of course she understood that he couldn't because he was already coming so many times this month. Saturday we pushed Linda and Paul to a wedding they had RSVP'd for so that Sara could go to the airport and get Chad. He was sitting on the floor playing Polly Pockets with Lily when they arrived back home from the wedding. After a massive double-take, they realized that all their baby birds had come back to the nest for the weekend. And that's what they thought the big surprise was.

Surprise #4:
The next day we went to church. Nothing is more satisfying for people from smallish towns than parading far away family in front of their church congregation. As we settled in for the service to start, Linda read the program/missile/daily schedule/still not sure what it is called even though I've been going to a Methodist Church for over a year. Right there was an invitation to come to an open house for Linda and Paul's 40th anniversary. After church, we went to a nice banquet room, where there was a slide show of pictures from their life together, their wedding book and original invitation, a sign in book, lots of juice and cookies and snacks, and lots and lots of people coming and going.



We ruined their quiet weekend, but through the planning and work of the people who love them, I hope that they felt the love and appreciation we all have for their union. As we sat around laughing and telling stories and arguing politics and yelping as we tried to put those mother-effing Polly Pocket outfits on...I kept thinking of that little phrase..."All because two people fell in love..."

5 comments:

d e v a n said...

how sweet!
I especially agree with #4. My il's love to take us to church when we go visit. :)

Kelsey said...

I LOVE that the presence of Cheerios automatically meant they were expecting you - so funny!

What a wonderful surprise. It kind of makes me rethink how we might approach the anniversaries of our parents - we can make it special without a huge (read: expensive) party. Good going!

CARRIE said...

My parents will celebrate their 40th in 2011, so I may have to steal a bit from this celebration. Low-key but so, so nice.

bluedaisy said...

What a fantastic surprise...and I just love, love, love that last line :) Happy 40th to your in-laws!

Aunt Sara said...

I did have a lot of help, I'm no super woman!
It was great to see you and the kids. Can't wait to see you again next month!