Monday, September 20, 2010

Quickies

Don't worry about the title...this is a Mom blog after all, right?

** Lily stayed in her room for about 90 minutes in the morning on Friday. Then I was a real...um...female dog, if you will...reminding her each time she complained about something that, "Well, I don't feel bad because YOU SHOULD BE HAVING FUN AT SCHOOL RIGHT NOW." When Michael went down for his nap, I made Lily spend another 90 minutes in her room to complete the 3 hours of school time that she missed. She was an angel. Didn't fall asleep, but didn't come out and complain once. She even commented at the end of it, "Mommy? Next time I'll go to school." We'll see. I like Carrie's suggestion of just bringing her to school in her pjs.

** Thursday I took Michael to his first Mommy and me type class. It is called Creative Parenting, and in the 4 years since we moved here I've heard nothing but good things. It is for ages 18 months-3 years...so there hasn't really been a time that I could take the other two kids. It was amazing. Michael had so much fun. You start with an art project...and Michael was shaking glitter like a maniac, squinching up tissue paper and gluing it to his bag, and staying quite focused. Then we went upstairs for free play. He obviously did fine. Then he helped clean the area up without a peep. Next came circle time. Much to my amazement, he sat in my lap and didn't squirm or fidget. At snack time, he sat excitedly on his mat and kept saying, "Me? Snack?" He listened to the story without running around. I saw a whole new side to my little boy. Fantastic.

Unfortunately, I kind of felt like crying each time he giggled as we did a song together or when he smiled proudly with me as we finished part of the art project. Because I never did anything like this with Lily. And while she is fine, obviously, and doesn't know what she missed out on...I'm sad for me that I missed out on this with her. I think that I'm really not over this whole 18 month spacing thing yet.

** Jeff still hasn't heard about the job yet. Now they are being downright rude. Jeff called the hiring manager on September 8th and left a detailed message on his voice mail. And he still hasn't called Jeff back. At least give him some closure. Don't they have to at least send a letter in the mail? They can't just ignore you forever, can they? Jeff refuses to look for anything else until this door is closed. Ugh.

** Jeff has two more business trips scheduled. One to Brazil the day after we get back from Texas for Uncle Chad's wedding. And another one week after that to Mexico for the week. Ugh. That's all I have to say. Ugh.

** We went back to church yesterday after a long summer absence. Michael was a complete and utter FREAK in the nursery. I suggested leaving and his response was clinging and SCREAMING for 15 minutes. Then 30 minutes after he finally calmed down, I left to get a tissue and he freaked out again. This boy has serious Mommy issues.

** I need to find a babysitter. Jeff and I have been really behind the times...we just go out when parents are visiting or we ask another parent to come over. But with Jeff traveling more and more, there are instances where I may need to go out or take Andrew somewhere, etc. So I ask again, fair readers...how do I find a babysitter?

Okay, enough boring fare. I've got to get the kids ready. Dentist appointment before school today! Yipes!

5 comments:

Heather said...

As far as a sitter goes, how about someone from your church?

Emily said...

I was going to say the same thing - anyone at your church have teenage daughters? I'd ask around at church and even if the teenagers don't babysit, ask if they have friends who do. Also, if you don't mind paying a little more, there are babysitting websites, I'm trying to think of the one...where they screen sitters and you post your needs - my friend found a really good one from there. I think it might be sittercity.com?

nicole said...

I am echoing the church suggestion. Or ask the moms at school for their sitters.

CARRIE said...

This probably won't make you feel better (and you'll want to hit me), but your sons will grow up and leave you but your daughter will stick around forever. So cherish the boys now.

See, I bet you feel all cheery now! ;)

Kelsey said...

Even with just the two kids I haven't done any mommy and me stuff with Michael. BUT I do think we're more social in other ways that I was with Harper as a baby/toddler, so maybe it will all come out in the wash.

Another idea for a babysitter would be to post something with the education department of a local university. I met a really wonderful family that way when I answered an add at UD.