Wednesday, August 25, 2010

For my kids...

For my children who may read this one day, I feel the need to write what happened after my little tirade at breakfast yesterday. What happens after my temper tantrums is really why your parents' marriage seems to work.

Jeff left for work a little battered and bruised. He said nothing to defend himself or rile me up more. He kissed me on his way out the door.

I called him around 9 and apologized. Not for being upset or bothered by his increasing travel, but because it wasn't fair to pounce on him like that.

He came home after work and didn't get ready for his Tuesday night fencing. When I asked if he was going, he looked at me like I had 3 eyes on my face. "No way. After this morning? No fencing for me tonight."

And he helped put the kids to bed. And he gave me a foot rub. And we had a long talk about how things have been so different the last few months, and the stress, and the loneliness, and the travel.

And nothing can change yet, because that's where we are at. But I felt better. And he felt better (I hope).

And we move on to another day in our marriage.

4 comments:

Emily said...

That's awesome. You guys have a great marriage.

CARRIE said...

Keep on swimming. Keep on swimming.

bluedaisy said...

I love this and I agree that it's these kind of moments that keep a marriage going strong :)

Kelsey said...

Man, it's difficult sometimes, no?

You guys are setting a really good example by the way, your kids are going to thank you for it someday.