Saturday, August 07, 2010

Sweatin' Like a Pig

File this one under: Stuff Andrew Says

We were driving home from the grocery yesterday, and we took our usual route past the horse pastures and then past the house with two pot-bellied pigs. Lily saw the pigs and the following conversation followed:

Lily- Mom, why do pigs always get in mud?

Me- Well, it's because they are hot. When people get hot, their skin lets off sweat so the wetness can cool them off. Pigs can't sweat, so to cool off their skin they like to cover it in mud. So it really is nonsense when people say, "I'm sweating like a pig."

A pause falls over the car.

Andrew- It would make sense to say it if you weren't actually sweating.

Me- (laughing). That's true, Andrew. Good thinking.

Another pause.

Andrew- Hey Mom! I'm sweating like a pig back here!

1 comment:

Erin said...

Probably shouldn't speak up here, but I thought the phrase came from when you roast a pig on a spit, and there's lots of condensation from all the fat? Or maybe it's just because a whole pig on the roast looks all shiny?

Like I said, I probably should have kept that to myself. I'm from MISSOURI, remember?