Friday, July 30, 2010

Play heaven

***warning...lots of boring playground pics ahead***

A friend of mine suggested that we go down into Fairmont Park (in Philly) to visit Smith's Kids' Play Place. I had never heard of it, but it was something to do, and the weather looked nice, and it is free. Sounded good to me.

My only regret in visiting this amazing place is that I just now discovered it.

When you drive up and park in the completely free parking lot, you see this monstrous stone house. In case you don't want to link to the website, I'll tell you about this place. In 1899, the Smith's wanted a safe place for children to play in Philadelphia. So they made a giant play place. They built this building just for kids to play in. Unfortunately for me, only children 5 and under are allowed in it. There's just no way of passing Andrew off as a 5 year old. Most people don't even believe that he's only 6. So we'll have to go back and discover the indoor part without him. Again, with the not knowing about this place.



When I walked through the gate, I saw 6 acres of playgrounds and shady open spaces. Heaven! And also...kind of felt the whole time like I was doing something wrong. Shouldn't I have PAID to get in here? I kept waiting to get caught.




The first playground you come to has some non-traditional play equipment...including fake rocks to climb on. Everything is on top of that cushy, recycled tire material. Also around here was a stone "labrynth" under a nearby tree...the kids just wandered the path of rocks choo-chooing like trains. I sat on a bench in the shade. Heaven!






Just down the red path is one of the original features of the Smith's playgrounds. This is a wooden slide built in 1905. I didn't quite know what that meant...sounded like splinters in the butt to me. But the wood was polished like a roller rink and beautiful and old...and it made me wish I was a kid in the early 1900s.
Andrew coming down the slide...Lily, Michael, and I also went down about 5 times...but I couldn't exactly help them and take pictures, now could I?



Down the hill from the wooden slide was another few play areas. Lots and lots of swings...which were mostly dominated by others. Disc swings, tire swings, baby swings, regular swings. There also was this cool spiderweb climbing thing...with a trampoline in the middle.



A little ways from that, there was a rocking boat...Lily is playing pirate and pointing out treasure for me.


Next to the boat is this cool teepee kind of a merry go round. You can spin, climb inside and spin, or climb on top and spin. Here's Andrew climbing on the outside while spinning.

There also was a kind of teeter-totter nearby that the kids got a big kick out of.


Mike got brave enough to go inside the spinning teepee. Andrew protected him. Melt melt melt.

Then Lily wanted in on the act. Andrew protected her too...melt melt melt...Andrew could ask for a pony right now and get it...
We ate lunch on a picnic blanket under a beautiful old birch tree and then moved on to the little kid playground. This is also supposed to be for 5 and under...but no one was around to stop Andrew...and he was told to give way to the little kids and be careful.













There was even this cool little crawler's playground. Seriously...why didn't I know about this place sooner??? I don't even have a crawler.



Another fabulous day in this fabulous city! I love Philadelphia!

6 comments:

Heather said...

I want to play there! Forget the kids!

CARRIE said...

I seriously hate living here....because we don't have this or anything like this. AGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Can we come visit???

Kelsey said...

How long is the drive from Western Ohio again? That place is a giant score!

Anonymous said...

SWEET! I am in awe of the 100 year old slide. I so want to visit this historical mecca you live in!

Michelle said...

How cool! Great place!

Joanne said...

That place looks amazing! Wish there was something like that here!