Saturday, June 02, 2007

Da-da, Muh-muh, Na-na, Yuh-yuh

I mentioned in a previous post that while in Texas, Lily uttered her first consonant, Bah-bah. We were ecstatic. I mean, when Andrew was this age, he was already reciting the alphabet. Okay, not really...but that's probably how I'll tell the story when I'm in my 50's. But he was far quicker with the whole babbling thing than Lily has been.

Well, maybe not for long. Today...yes, in just one day, we have heard 4 new sounds from her. And one multi-syllable babble, Ah-da. What the heck? Is this child secretly practicing so she can astound us all in one day? She was just sitting in her highchair and clearly said, "Da da da da", as if this is something she has always been able to do. What's next? Am I going to catch her sauntering through the room on two feet? Oh, yea, Mom, I forgot to tell ya that I know how to walk.

Even more remarkable than her verbal breakthrough is that it happened in the middle of a bad cold. Poor little thing is just miserable. I hate sick infants...there's just so little that you can do for them. And, yes, I do have a humidifier...but she's so hot already I hate to steam her out. And, yes, I do have a cool mist vaporizer/humidifier/whatever it's called, but it doesn't do diddly.

Oh, and as of today she is on 100% bottles. I had been nursing first thing in the morning and then one more feeding after that. This morning at 6 I went in to her room with a bottle. She got SOOOOOOO excited, grabbing and stuffing it in her mouth. Yea, don't cry for me, Lillian. I feel the love. ;)

No comments: