Sunday, July 06, 2008

New health class curriculum

Watching the tv show, Baby Borrowers, has got me thinking.

I think I'm supposed to come away feeling like teens shouldn't have babies (mind-blowing revelation right there). I love that they not only have to take care of the baby, but have to go to work and take the rugrat to classes, etc. Except the show doesn't actually enforce these "rules". Like they were supposed to wear a pregnancy suit until the babies came, but one girl decided it made her look fat, so she didn't wear it. Um...hello?...you signed up for this show! So the show...oh, wait, they did nothing. Just gave her the baby as scheduled. I would've said, no preggers, no baby. Heck, I'd have half a dozen kids if I didn't have to be pregnant. Okay, and if I got a full time nanny and 4 weeks vacation a year sans children. And then one person is supposed to go to work...but one girl last minute decided she had a "tummy ache". So no one went to work...she instead whined and cried in the bathroom. Oh...the whining. All the teens were whining and SOooooooo unable to see beyond themselves. They were...you know...teenagers.

So really, I come away from this show really not wanting any teenagers. Seriously. It's a good thing you get 10 years to fall in love with your child before they turn into that. Ugh.

Anyway, next week they get toddlers. Which I think is BRILLIANT. Babies are portable. Babies can be set down and can't follow you. Teens might think they can handle a baby. But a toddler comes soon after that phase...and it's a whole other ballgame.

I think high schools should take note of this. I remember getting an egg in health class that I was supposed to "take care of" for a day of two. We couldn't set it down, we had to pretend to feed it, etc. Continue this as an example for an infant...why not, it's cheap and easy. But I think that after the "egg experiment", the teens should be given a live gerbil as an example of caring for a toddler. They are not allowed to cage the "baby", they must prevent it from killing itself by chewing on extension cords or swimming in the toilet, they must try and feed it 3 nutritious meals a day, and they must take it to the mall and keep it from running away...no leashes, please! Now, THAT would be preparation for a toddler. Except a gerbil is quiet...no screaming or whining. Wait a minute...on second thought, that sounds too easy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have not watched Baby Borrowers. I have no intention of watching Baby Borrowers. I had babies, I had teenagers. I have no need to revisit that time. Grandparenting is a whole other experience. I love that. Maybe they should have a grandparenting show. That is pure euphoria. Love, Happy Memere

Emily said...

I've been watching this show, too, and I am hooked. Makes me feel validated as a mom, strange as that is. I've noticed from the previews that it seems some of the ones who did "well" with the babies end up losing their cool at some later point during the show. So that will be fun to watch. I also thought it was interesting to see some of the teens' moms come to visit. Explained a lot - foul mouths, for one, and the ones who had good relationships with their own parents seemed to be doing the best with their foster babies. Hmmm....