Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Blast to the Past

I met Pamela in August of 2000. We were both starting a new job at the University of Phoenix, at a newly opened branch with only 5 employees. Out of the 5 of us, Pamela and I happened to share a birthday...which I believe was the week we started work.

I only worked there for 9 months. And yet, we continued to keep in touch. We lived almost a half hour apart (only due to SoCal traffic...grrr..). We got together as much as two working people could. She quit working when she had her daughter, and I began the 18 month process to have my first child. We still managed to stay close. She brought me a meal and a hug when I had my miscarriage. She called me a bit nervous to tell me she was pregnant with her 2nd child...worried that she would upset me since I STILL wasn't pregnant. I harbored no bitterness towards her and was only excited. And then even MORE exited to call her 6 weeks later and announce that I too was pregnant. We had our sons 6 weeks apart. Now I was a SAHM too, and we saw each other more frequently. But then we moved. There were many tears.

It has been 5 years since we moved away from Southern California. And yet, just about every week we call each other. The darned time difference really does us in. But we have always managed to keep calling. We've talked each other through more babies, changes in husbands' jobs, moves, family crisis, and just general gossip. We cheer each other on and moan in sympathy. We pass no judgement and eagerly pass on useful information. It is a very freeing friendship because it is so isolated from our everyday lives.

I am, in a word, very very lucky to have a friend like Pamela. And now you know why I went to visit her. And now that we are both done having babies, you can bet we won't wait 5 years to visit each other again.

Some photos:


Here we are...Amazon woman and her tiny friend. And, yes, we could've posed in a million better places throughout the weekend...but we kind of forgot to take a picture until I was leaving for the airport. We were too busy TALKING to take pictures, people.
Let's just remember for a minute what I left behind in PA...

Do you see that slide? Holy crow, I've never seen this much snow!


The trees were stunning. Stunning. But I had to enjoy looking at them while I shoveled for 2 hours. And that was just my shift. Add in my dad and Jeff's hours...whew.

Why, yes, we DO have a driveway. Somewhere under that mess.
Our mailbox. Somewhere under that mess.

And then I flew away to a warm wonderland. It was so...surreal to be back there. I just can't believe that I ever lived there.
Admittedly, I didn't take very many pictures. I kept my camera in my purse. I hate carrying a purse, so I'd often leave it behind in the car. Which isn't good for taking pictures.


Pamela posing in front of a vineyard.
I'm pretty sure her ward is petitioning her to never speak to me again. Taking one of their flock to wine country. But even I didn't drink while we were there. I've taken WAY too much Tylenol and Advil in the last few weeks. I was pretty sure a sip of wine would make my liver just leap out of my throat and quit.

Me eating the coveted Chocolate Chip Calzone, from Claim Jumpers. Don't ask why it is so good...I cannot explain. It is horribly bad for you and fantastically delicious. I can't keep up this figure if I start eating SALADS and such, people.

We went for a walk at a nature preserve with Pamela's husband and 4 kids. I don't remember the park's name, but I know it will probably be the last time those kids go there. At least for the next 5 years or so. They were MISERABLE. We walked and walked to these vernal pools...and there just wasn't much to entertain the kids along the way.
I can't quite do the mountains justice. Their community is almost surrounded by picturesque scenery. And it was in the 70s. I almost died from pleasure walking in the warm sunshine.

Here are the poor tortured souls. She has almost the same spacing of kids, with the same genders, except for a bonus little girl at the top. Such sweet, good-natured, fun-loving kids. They're doing a great job. They get the "Giselle Star of Approval."
That's it. It was a refreshing, lovely weekend. We didn't do anything crazy or out of the ordinary. But it was totally out of the ordinary for those of us stuck at home with small children. We went out to eat. We browsed a book store. We went walking without having to carry a single diaper or snack with us. We went to a movie. We went through lots and lots of model homes...and we never had to worry about someone breaking something.
I cannot thank Pamela and family enough. I cannot thank my mother-in-law enough. All I can say is that it is a wonderful thing to be loved by such people. And I feel ready to face the rest of winter. ;)

6 comments:

Emily said...

That sounds incredibly awesome. A SAHM's dream weekend, right? And don't you wish that you could live next door to your girlfriend that you are so close to who is also home with her kids? Wouldn't that just be awesome? Sigh...I wish, too.

Kate said...

You picked a GREAT week to be gone. If it had been me, I might not have come back.

CARRIE said...

That sounds wonderful!! It is wonderful to have such a good friend.

bluedaisy said...

Wow- the whole tone of your post tells me that it was really relaxing for you...which was the point, right? An awesome trip to see an awesome friend- what could be better?

Mom said...

Can't believe how grown up Pamela's children are. What a beautiful family.

Marie Green said...

I'm nervous that if I visited a 70 degree climate at this time of winter, I'd go MIA until May. My poor family would not know where I was, as I'd be laying around just being WARM for a few months.

Also, my bff and I have not lived in the same state since 1993, and in fact have lived thousands of miles from each other since 1998. We talk frequently and see each other almost yearly, but it's never enough.