Saturday, January 14, 2012

Lily is reading!

It seems silly now that I used to think my mom couldn't be excited for me just because my older sister had already done everything first.

Lily is reading.  And I couldn't be more excited.  Truly.

She and I have been reading this set of sight word books for about a year now.  Off and on.  A lot of off and then sometimes I'd have a burst of "I should be a good mother" and we'd pull them out and read a few.  You know the types of books...big pictures with repetitive sentences underneath so they can use the pictures to help them.  I love books.  I love desks.  I love paint.  I love school!  We had them from Andrew, and Lily wanted to try...so voila!

Then when we were at Michael's speech a few weeks ago, she and I were coloring.  I decided to write one of those sight words on the back of the sheet.  No context.  Not in the same order or the same book.  You.  What.  Are.  Of.  Can.  Look.  Like.  It.  Is.  The.  I'm forgetting some, but you get the idea.

She knew them all.

So we've amped up the reading a bit.  Getting real books out of the library.  And she really knows those sight words.  And she is really sounding out 3 letter words.  And she can use context to figure words out.  And if I chunk words up, she can figure it out (like going).

She read 51 pages of Hop on Pop with very minimal help on Wednesday.

She read 51 pages of Go Dog Go last night.  (she actually was watching the pages.  She'd heard me tell my mom, so when we got to page 51, she pointed at the number and announced that she'd read enough.  Silly girl).

I can't believe how exciting it is to watch someone learn to read.  Again.  She is amazing and I'm so proud of her.

(and don't tell Andrew, but she is WAY more fun to read with then he was.  He used to get so frustrated that at the first word he didn't know, he'd quit and throw the book.  She furrows her brow and tries and tries again to sound that word out right.  Determined little thing.  Future CEO.)

4 comments:

Sara said...

Yay for Lily! That's awesome! (It's amazing how having children puts things in perspective, huh? :))

Kelsey said...

Oh that is so exciting!

I was just feeling sort of sad that Harper has moved on to a stage of reading where I'm just hardly involved and I had some relief when I remembered that I would soon get to do it all again with Michael!

bluedaisy said...

Go Lily!! It's been very cool watching Michael learn this year- he didn't start out kindergarten as a reader (other than books he had memorized). Now he can sound out words and does a great job even with new books.
I am amazed by the learning to read process! I think Liam will be a little closer to reading before kinder, thanks to his constant monitoring of all the things Michael is learning. So glad Lily is fun to read with :)

CARRIE said...

Totally amazing when a 2nd or 3rd kid does the exact same thing as the first because, as you said, they have their own little spin on the experience!