Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Signs of disaster

Michael is a great name for this 3rd child of mine.  Jeff loved when I named him Mischief Maker Michael in a previous blog.  But he also could be called Master Manipulator Michael.

This child is cute.  CUTE with a capital Q.  Everyone we come in contact with comments on how cute he is.  It is alarming how much he gets away with...globally...because of his cuteness.  And he does not use this power entirely for good.

He has discovered that people melt when he tells them "I love you."  How could you stay mad when those big eyelashes bat over those hazel green eyes and those pouty lips say quietly, "I love you, Mommy" followed by a deep hug?  I am POWERLESS over here.

And he knows it.

I realized that he is cognizant of his powers one day about a month ago.  He was sneaking into Andrew's room to play with his Heroica game.  I said, "Michael.  You should not go play in Andrew's room.  He will be really mad at you."  Michael replied, "It's okay, Mommy.  I'll just say 'I love you'."

And I started to notice that he defuses all the chaos left in his wake with sweet little sincere sounding calls of love.  Little stinker. 

Hits his sister with a car?  All I hear from the next room is, "I love you, Lily."

Knocks a cup off the counter with his ball?  Michael hollers to me, "I love you, Mom!"

So now, when Michael comes running up declaring his love for me, my first response is, "What did you do?"

4 comments:

d e v a n said...

That is too cute!

Jayme said...

I love this. I wish we could get our kids together. Jase has started this thing where he will come up to me and, out of the blue, just tell me, "I don't have Bailey's game." when he has it behind his back! Or he will come up to me and say, "I didn't do it." and I know that I am in trouble.

CARRIE said...

Eat him up!!!

Pamela said...

Hahahahaa...cute and smart is a dangerous combo :)