Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Problems with the Kindle

1) The children love it.  Before, I could read while eating my breakfast/lunch/dinner, and the children ignored me.  Now, they see the glowing screen in front of my face and they are instantly harassing me to play angry birds or slashing fruit or some other stupid game that they like.  And, no, I don't have another paper book to read...I only read one book at a time.

2) The whole library system is a bit disappointing.  I mean, I am a HUGE library user.  I am there at least 3 times a month and I utilize their hold system and library transfer system and everything else.  I like that it is free and easy and everything else. 
      I am on hold for my book club book (my first e-book hold), and I am 1 out of 1 on hold.  I have been on hold for a week.  You can only check out ebooks for 2 weeks, so I am certain that I'll get it on time.  HOWEVER, I am already stressing over what happens if I don't get it in the next week.  Will I call and question the librarians about how the other person could still have it if it has been 2 weeks already.  Does that mean there is some secret way to extend the 2 week deadline?  I just don't TRUST the e-book system yet.  It seems fishy to me in the first place. What are the chances that the other person checked it out the exact day I put it on hold?  (maybe high since it was Christmas day, and probably lots of people got new iPads/Kindles/Nooks and were checking out books at the library). 
     ALSO, the library has lots and lots of romance novels and self help books, but not very many of the books I want to read.  Like Divergent.  The book that 5 different sources have told me to read.  They don't have an ebook of it.  After striking out while looking for books on my "to read" list, I decided to look up some of my favorite authors.  Anne Rice only had one e-book total...and it was the entire vampire series in one e-book.  Did I mention you can only check these out for 2 weeks?  Urgh.  Another series that was recommended?  They have book 2 and 4.  That's helpful.

3) I was excited about the prospect of sharing books with other Kindle users.  Many of my book club buddies have them as well as my MIL and SIL.  HOWEVER, I have yet to meet anybody that has ever actually shared a book.  And some have tried...and failed. 

4) I don't buy books.  I read too fast to make it financially sound.  Well, sometimes I do, but only if I think I'll read it again (almost never happens) or if I think someone else will enjoy it.  I go to book stores to find titles that I want to check out from the library.  But it is starting to seem like buying e-books is the only way to go.  Which makes me sad....I hate spending money.

And that just about sums up my upper middle class problems for the day!

1 comment:

Katie B. said...

I got a Nook last year, and I refuse to pay more than, like, $7 for an ebook. You're not paying for printing or shipping or storing, so what, exactly, is costing $15? Also, I am cheap. Amazon should have a bunch of free books that are in the public domain--I'm loaded up with Dickens and Austin and Sherlock Holmes.