Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Gym rat

You guys....I am really enjoying the gym.  WTH...did I just type that?  No, seriously. 

Running that race last October has changed me.  I feel legitimate when I walk through the doors, where I used to feel silly and out of place in work out facilities.

I love the weight machines, and that I've had to increase the weight a few times.  I can feel the changes in my strength...which is an exciting new thing for me.

I love that I am not losing all that progress I made last summer.  There is no way I could run a 5K right now, but I can run 15-20 minutes, which is WAY better than last spring.  I couldn't run 3 minutes back then.  And I haven't really been trying to get my time up more...I'm having fun playing with interval workouts and incline challenges, etc.  I'm just in better shape all around.

I love dropping the kids off for an hour in the afternoon.  And I love that they enjoy the play room and the classes they are taking during that time.

I love the open swim and how it is making all 3 kids more comfortable with the water.

I'm proud of myself for going 3-4 times a week...for making the time a priority. 

I like that it has motivated me to change the way I am eating.  And that I've been good now for 2 whole months...which is some kind of a record for me.

I am sloooooooowly losing weight.  I think my muffin top has reduced a bit, but otherwise I don't see any changes in myself.  In 2 months, I've lost 8 pounds.  But rather than get frustrated and discouraged and quit, I am somehow just continuing on.  Jeff thinks I should reward myself at 10 pounds.  But all I can think about is food rewards...hot fudge sundae, breakfast out, etc etc.  Seems a little counterproductive, eh? 

I cannot think of a reward for myself.  I have not lost enough weight to need new clothes...that will be my 20 pound reward.  I am sleeping enough and reading enough and getting out with my friends enough...life is very good in those regards.  I'm stumped.  And quite happy that life is so good I can't think of a  little reward for myself.

What would YOU do as a reward?

8 comments:

CARRIE said...

Awesome! That is great. Exercise becomes a little addictive once you get going.

I'm terrible at making reward suggestions. I'd probably go buy some new sheets or something.

Jayme said...

Pedicure!

HawleyFamily said...

massage? Trip to NYC to see a show? Trip to California to see some old friends? ;)

Andrea said...

Okay no laughing but my 10lb reward (also 2 lbs away) is new underwear! I can't wait!

Aunt Sara said...

If it were me I'd go shopping for a few hours, but I'm guessing that's more like a punishment for you?
Colum says you should reward yourself by signing up for another 5K...
Maybe upgrade something you wear/take to the gym. Get a new really great water bottle, towel, sneakers, etc.

Grandma said...

I heard a lady say today when she loses 8 more pounds she is getting a tattoo for a reward. Bet you haven't thought of that!

bluedaisy said...

Love the tattoo idea! What about a massage? Unless that idea skeeves you but I'd totally do that as a reward. Pedicure as the weather (hopefully) gets warmer sounds good too- get rid of winter feet and pamper them a bit after your diligent work outs :)

Pamela said...

I would ask Justin to take the kids out for a couple hours while I stay home and curl up with a good book.

And an Oreo shake ;)