Sunday, February 19, 2012

Stinky bugs

We have stink bugs here in PA.  They are little slow, dumb, hard shelled critters that come out in droves in the spring and fall.  Then they nestle themselves in your siding or wall boards or whatever, lay their eggs, and come out the next season.   Other than their sheer numbers, annoying habit of flying straight at your head, and the fact that exterminators can't really help you eliminate them, they are low on the scale of freaky insects.  When that scale includes yellow jackets, termites, and spiders.

Oh, and did I mention they STINK?  Only when they are smooshed...which is every time you catch one.  I have a rule that they must be flushed down the toilet because I cannot stand the smell of one in the trash.  It is AWFUL.

Except that Jeff can't smell them.  Really.  He doesn't notice a thing.  I don't think it bothers the kids either.  But I HATE it.

Fast forward to this afternoon.  While I was out shopping with the kids, Jeff got his painting clothes out of the garage (a.k.a. Stink Bug Land), and found lots of dead stink bugs clinging to the fabric.  He...wait for it...decided to throw his clothes in the dryer to get them off.

No big deal?  Except that the basement REEKS of stink bug.  My dryer/vent/entire basement now stinks to high heaven.  I can't imagine doing laundry down there.  Putting the food away was torture.

And Jeff can't smell a thing.  He just shrugs and says he doesn't see the big deal.

-sigh-

4 comments:

Erin said...

Omg. That is all.

bluedaisy said...

I can't really smell stink bugs either. Whatever year they were particularly pesky, I would find them dead in my sock drawer. Also, I've woken up twice to find one crawling on my hair...and I almost put on a pair of jeans with one inside (how I noticed it, I'll never know- God was watching over me I guess). They weren't as bad this past fall so we'll see what spring brings. I've had a few over the past couple of days, I'm guessing due to the warmer weather? Anyway, other than the fact that even just one stink bug sounds like a flippin' jet flying, they aren't that bad. I have a big bee phobia and am not a bug-girl in general but they are, um, persistent...The dryer thing would have set me in a FIT! Mike might be in ICU if he did that...

CARRIE said...

I hate it when men have ideas.

Jeff said...

For the record - I threw my clothes in the dryer because they had been in the garage all winter and were really cold. I did not find the stink bugs until I pulled them out of the dryer.