Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The new religion

Another analogy post. Lucky you.

I was caught in the middle of a conversation today that made me very uncomfortable. As my 3 year old shoved Froot Loops into his pie hole, these 2 women began talking about how organic their families eat. They weren't talking to me, per se, but they pointedly started the conversation after I handed the bag to Michael.

I've overheard many such conversations. They are almost always glorified pissing contests.

"Have you tried these organic fruit snacks? They are really the best thing."
"Oh, yes, the dyes they put in everything else are just killing our kids. We have switched to such-n-such a brand because the other brand just lies about what is on their packaging. I mean, think of our kids! But I just can't do it all because I'd have to drive all over to find it."
"I know it is expensive, but I don't know how families can't think of their kids health first."
"Well, I only buy organic milk."
"Well, I buy unpasturized milk directly from the farmer."
"Well, I drive 45 minutes so that I can buy a brick of organic buffalo meat."
"Well, I only eat meat if I can buy it directly from the farmer."


Etc., etc., etc....

I do not necessarily agree with the whole organic craze. I understand parts of it, but I think it has been blown into a huge scam on the consumers. But that doesn't matter. It works for some families. It makes them feel good about how they are raising their children, it gives them control over what is good and bad going into their bodies, and I'm sure that in many cases it is a wonderful thing for their overall life experience.

Just as I'm sure that born-again Christians feel good about how they are raising their children, it gives them control over what is good and bad going into their souls, and I'm sure in many cases it is a wonderful thing for their overall life experience. I don't agree with their whole belief system, but I don't think my way is necessarily the only right way, so more power to them.

However, because religion has been around longer, there are certain accepted social limits. In polite conversation with virtual strangers, a person may announce where they go to church. They do not typically try and convert the strangers present. Or belittle others beliefs.

Taking this morning's situation as an example...

Let's say during swim lessons I had whipped out bulletin from church, they may have politely asked if I go to church there and then mention where they themselves worship. And that would be the end...unless I asked a question about it. Then the door would be open for debate and conversation.

If we were following the organic religion rules, I think I would have whipped out my church bulletin and the women would immediately begin discussing how Methodists are going to hell and how sad that some families won't switch away from it to save their families souls. And then the one woman would talk about how good SHE is at keeping Sabbath, and then the other woman would tell how she keeps the Sabbath AND she never wears sleeveless shirts, etc etc.

-sigh-

I understand that going organic has changed your life. I get it. I'm happy for you. Just don't openly judge me for not joining your new religion. And for cripes sake...your constant bickering about whose organic diet is the "best"? Doesn't make me want to convert any time soon.

7 comments:

Leiandra said...

Just drink the Kool-Aid. It'll make you feel better. Oh wait... that's not organic. lol

bluedaisy said...

I feel the same way- we can't afford to do all organic and even if we could, I'm not sure I could go full speed ahead. I will buy organic milk or meat at times but the vegetables? They always look gross. For now, I'm just trying to keep us away from fast food as much as possible. I also get very stressed out by the compare/ contrast game so I try really hard not to get wrapped up in it--but it's REALLY hard!

Pamela said...

They wouldn't have any luck converting us that's for sure. Last night we made milkshakes with Oreos (double stuff Halloween ones with bright orange cream), 2% cow milk full of hormones, whip cream from the same cow and topped with a juicy maraschino cherry preserved in sugar water. I don't want to go to organic heaven if there isn't sugar and bright orange dye #11 served there. Besides, it's a proven scientific fact around our house that milkshakes make broken arms feel better :)

Heather said...

Well said! Now excuse me while I go eat my Boo Berry cereal!

CARRIE said...

I read "100 Days of Real Food" article, and while I commend these people for eating so healthy, I also think they might be a little nutso to tell their kids they can't have birthday cake at a birthday party. I foresee some therapy in their kids' futures...."My mom made me eat carrot sticks dipped in water while my friends ate Baskin Robbins ice cream cake."

bluedaisy said...

I want to hang out at Pamela's house...I just bought the Halloween oreos too!

Kate said...

Thank you! Also the nursing/not nursing thing is also okay to discuss. As well as the "I have my kid in 1,000 after school activities while your anti-social kid rots his brain at home." Give me a couple more minutes and I'm sure we can come up with a few more religions. But the organic thing is definitely one of my favorites. Penn and Teller did a segment on their Bullshit show.