Friday, September 02, 2011

She's different than the boys

Today we went to the zoo with a friend of mine. Our school district had no school (3 days...whew...better have a 4 day weekend???) So we were 2 adults, 6 kids under 8, wandering the zoo. It was actually quite fun. The kids did reasonably well and it was a beautiful day.

We were eating lunch by a big fountain and my friend offered Michael 2 pennies to throw in. The other kids were running around and didn't notice. The first thing Michael did was give one of his pennies to Lily to throw into the fountain. My heart melted. Each other child also eventually got 2 pennies...very fair and even.

At dinner, we were telling Jeff about our day. I retold the story of Michael sharing his penny with his sister. Then Lily and I had this conversation:

Me: Lily, wasn't it nice when Michael gave you one of his pennies?

Lily: Yes. And Maddie gave me one of hers too. And Andrew gave me one of his.

Me: Did you share one of your pennies with anyone?

Lily: No. And later I found another coin on the ground and I threw that in too.

Me: Oh, I see. Well it certainly was kind of your brothers and Maddie to give you one of their pennies. I bet it made them feel good to be nice and share. How does it make you feel that they shared their pennies with you but you didn't share any with them?

Lily: (smiling innocently) It makes me feel good.

Cut to Jeff giggling unstoppably behind his milk glass.

She just doesn't get it. Lily is so different from the boys. She is very sweet and can be very kind and thoughtful and shares easily and well when asked. But I don't think it comes naturally to her. Which is why SHE will be CEO of our family company someday.

2 comments:

Aunt Sara said...

HAHAHA!
I love that girl, and you're right, she probably will be a CEO whether it's the family business or not... that or a vet :)
If shadow had been I bet she would have tried to share.

Sara said...

I just laughed out loud! She's so funny! When I read this at first, I assumed that Andrew gave the coin to Lily--the first born always having to share. But then I reread it! Hopefully when she's CEO, she will share the earnings with you all! ;)