Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Whirlwind of social activity

Oh, did we have a weekend.

Saturday I ran errands in the morning with my favorite shopping buddy, Lily. Except she was a grump, so it wasn't as much fun as it should have been. Then we had my friend Elizabeth and her daughter over for dinner. Her husband was supposed to come also, but he got sick. Having people over makes us clean the house and get all ready. Which is really funny, because Elizabeth and her daughter come over pretty frequently during the week and I do no such preparing for her.

Sunday, we went to pick apples at a farm nearby. The boys had So. Much. Fun. Lily grumbled that she was hot and asked every 35 seconds if it was time to go home yet. That afternoon, we headed to a friend's house for a Labor Day bbq/birthday party. I know this woman from book club and one of my 1,000 playgroups I've been involved in since moving here. We showed up, and it turns out Jeff knew at least 4 of the husbands from all the social activities I've dragged him to. So he had fun catching up with them while he supervised the pool fun (they had an in ground pool). There was the pool, and inflatable bounce house, corn hole (which is not call corn hole here...it's something weird like Bumpo or Bingo or something), play set, and tables set up with crafts for the kids to do...with a woman who was hired to help take care of the children. Holla! It was a great party. We stayed until 9 pm...which means the kids didn't get to bed until 9:30. That's how good it was.

Monday, the kids woke up at 6 am. Le-sigh. So it was grump grump grump all day. We had another Labor Day dinner to go to at someone else's house, and I was pretty certain my children were going to be monsters. I spent the morning being all Honey Homemaker...making applesauce from our apple picking spoils, making side dishes to bring to dinner, etc. When all was said and done, it was another very lovely evening. The kids did awesome, Jeff knew and liked both of the husbands...just fantastic. The kids didn't get to bed until 8:30...about an hour past their bed times.

All this socializing made me once again realize how settled and rooted we've become in this area. It is so easy right now. I can't really imagine moving and starting all over...again. -sigh-

Today, it was back to reality. Andrew had school, so of course he didn't wake up until 7:50 am. Lily had her first swim lesson ever...and she did so well that I was actually tearing up in the parent observation room. Lordy. Andrew had his swim lesson tonight at 6:45, and he also did fantastic.

Tomorrow I am hosting a playdate, so I really should be scrubbing the house and not blogging. Thursday, Michael gets to go to school to visit his teachers and classroom while I fill out a million papers. Then Friday we go back to the same school to meet Lily's teachers while I fill out the very same million papers. Saturday is our first soccer game of the season and Sunday church starts up their Sunday school program for the year. Monday, Lily starts school and I start my babysitting job in the afternoons. Tuesday, Michael starts school and there is Back to School night so I can get in the know about Andrew's teacher and year ahead.

Phew! Life is getting going!

5 comments:

HawleyFamily said...

"What the HECK is a corn hole?!?!" asks the California girl...

Pamela said...

Hey, that was my question too!!! How funny. I've never heard of a corn hole out here in California. Please educate us :)

Andrea said...

haha... California ladies-- Cornhole is a game with bags filled (in theory) with corn, that you toss and try to land on boards of wood that have a hole in them. More points for getting the cornbag in the hole...

Giselle-- I almost asked about this babysitting job in the afternoon. Then I realized, you mean your own kids. (this is a sign I am over due for bed!)

Giselle said...

Thank you Andrea, for the explanation of cornhole.

And I actually am babysitting for a boy in the neighborhood whose parents work full time and didn't want to pay for the after school program. I'll meet him at the bus (a different one than Andrew), and then watch him at my house for about 90 minutes each day.

CARRIE said...

Sometimes I am astounded by how busy I am with the kids. How can this be since they are so young? Apparently I thought life wouldn't begin for them until they are 15.