Tuesday, September 13, 2011

A Tale of Two Mornings

Yesterday was Lily's first day of school. She was nervous about her new teachers until the orientation last week. Then she realized that she is just about a professional pre-school student at this point.

She got all dressed up and packed her bookbag. And then she posed for a picture with Andrew before he left for the bus stop.

She piled in the car so early that we got to her school 15 minutes early. Plenty of time for another first day shot in front of the school.

Then her friends started cat calling her from across the parking lot, "Liiiiiiily! Liiiiiiily! Wait for me!" They all know each other and were running around reuniting.

We went into school, and when Michael caught sight of his teachers (who we met last week at HIS orientation), he dove behind my legs and told me, "I not go to school today!" And then he ran in the opposite direction. Not looking good for Tuesday morning.


After school, I asked Lily who she sat next to. It happened to be someone new, that wasn't in her class last year. Lily easily told me, "Sophia. Isn't that a pretty name? And she has a Barbie backpack."


Her brother took AT LEAST a month before he learned anyone's name...in Kindergarten. And not only does Lily learn the little girl's name, she knows which back pack she has. I love having a girl! She also told me...in detail...what toys were out and which she thought Michael would like. I had to remind her again that Michael was in a different classroom down the hall. Sweet little thing has been trying to get Mikey excited about going to school there.


While Lily was at her first day, Michael and I went shopping and then did a little of this: (not an actual picture...but we did build with blocks...and this is such a cute shot I had to include it)


Last night we talked about school with Michael. I asked him what he wanted to play with at school. He smiled slyly and said, "I want to play with Mommy." Stinker.


Imagine my surprise this morning when he eagerly got ready. Imagine my surprise when he grabbed his bookbag and hopped in the car. He had a misty moment on the drive, when he told me I couldn't leave him there because, "I need you, Mommy." But he posed nicely outside the school. And then he literally stepped over screaming and crying children and handed his teacher a paper I'd given him...and he never looked back.

Apparently he didn't cry the whole day. He did tell me that he liked learning all about dogs and singing a dog song. He told me that 2 boys annoyed him because they wouldn't stop crying. So apparently compassion is not his strong suit ;P

While he was in school, Lily had another fantastic swim lesson. Today was just 110% better than I thought it would be.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

YYYYEEEAAAAHHH for good kids and good days!

memere said...

They just keep surprising us, don't they? Glad you got off to a good start.

Pamela said...

Isn't it amazingly awesome when things go well?! And what are those triangle block things Michael was building with? Those look cool, I bet Zander would love those.

Grandma said...

Your day melted my heart and I wasn't even there! The pictures of Lily and Michael are precious...especially Michael walking into class! (Thanks for being such a faithful blogger!)

CARRIE said...

How did your baby get to be such a big, brave boy????

Getting G to talk about his first two days of preschool has been like getting Excalibur from the stone. Much different from how N was at the same age.

bluedaisy said...

Everyone off to a great start :)