Friday, September 21, 2007

The Big Reveal

We finally told Andrew last night that we are indeed having another baby. I had another doctor's appointment, where they found the baby's heartbeat with the Doppler. Even though they warned me about 10 times that it was early and they may not be able to find it...they found it really quickly. Gifted baby. Nice and strong, nice and fast...about 160 beats a minute. No more denying it...this baby is here to stay. (as if throwing up after every meal hasn't been convincing enough). And don't even bother telling me it's a girl because it is 160 beats a minute. Both my kids had high heartbeats at this stage, and both dropped. And Lily's was always lower than Andrew's. So there. Old wives' tale...I poo poo you.

Anyhoo, back to telling Andrew. I had my appointment at night, so Jeff could watch the kids. I had told Andrew earlier in the day that I was going to the doctor to find out why I was so sick all the time. Here's how the conversation went once I got home and found Jeff, Lily, and Andrew in a big pile on our big chair.

Giselle: "Well, Andrew, the doctor found out why Mommy keeps getting sick."
Andrew: looks blankly at me...he has already forgotten that I was gone
G: "The doctor found another baby in my tummy!"
(at this point, Jeff has a completely silent, full-blown panic attack, thinking I am announcing that they found twins. Until he realizes that Andrew didn't know about the first baby, and I am talking about another baby besides him and Lily.)
A: Andrew's eyes get huge. "Is it a boy or a girl?"
G: "Well, they can't tell yet. The baby is too small. It's only the size of a grape right now."
A: "A red grape or a green grape?"
G: "No, the baby isn't really a grape...just the size of a grape."
A: "What are we having for dinner?"

Ah...so sentimental.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

He has his priorities, you have yours. Congrats on Surprise Baby having such a strong heartbeat!

Finders Fee said...

Now that's funny!!

CARRIE said...

Sounds like something a typical man would say.

Kelsey said...

I'm laughing so hard picturing the look of Jeff trying not to explode with the thought of twins. . .

Erin said...

A green grape or a red grape-- haha! That is one funny boy.