Wednesday, September 19, 2007

I miss my mommy

There's nothing like being sick to make you feel loved. From my little dog nuzzling me and looking at me with worried eyes while I vomit. From my little boy who will rub my back and ask how I'm feeling in such a sweet little voice (again as I worship the porcelain God). From my 11 month old little girl who pushes me out of the way so she can try to play in the toilet water. Oh wait. That's not touching. That's disgusting. And especially from my saint of a husband who has really gotten this loving thing down the 3rd time around. Coming home from work and totally taking over the children, tucking me into bed at 8 pm and then doing the dishes, picking up the kids' toys, making the bottles for the next day, etc etc etc. Yes, I feel very loved these last few weeks.

But I miss my mommy. She's not gone for good, I only have to share her with Russia for a few weeks. But there's just something immensely comforting about being sick and having your mom to worry about you. My friends just don't want to hear about it. My kids don't really care if I don't feel well (except for the few fleeting sweet moments like I mentioned above). Poor Jeff is too haggard from being a single parent to really worry about little old puking me. But when Mom is around, I can always count on a sympathetic call during the day, just to check on how I'm feeling. Even if she knows the answer is going to be, "yuck", she will still call to offer her sympathies and lend a listening ear. No mother likes their baby to be sick...and I will always be one of my mom's babies. That's nice. And healing in some sort of way.

It makes me feel really bad for those of you out there without your moms. Because I hate being without mine for just a few weeks. I can't imagine it being permanent.

1 comment:

Annie said...

Giselle, I feel the same way. Goodness knows Bill isn't the most sypathetic to "sick" people, working with really ill people all day. No one does it like Mommy. Just think, you'll get to have those special powers for at least 3 people! Pretty cool.