Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Cheesy goodness and other randomness

Non-cheesy Lily on the move!

In a tube together at the mall


Andrew the Angelfish...not something we did this weekend.


What a beautiful weekend! I realize it was stinkin' hot in the Midwest...but it was in the upper 70s/low 80s with low humidity here. Lovely. We went to 2 different parks, including hiking to a covered bridge to picnic. Okay, "hiking" is a bit of an exaggeration. We walked a short distance on a gravel path through the woods to a covered bridge. We saw many horses. With riders, not wild horses. Shadow almost had a heart-attack. She had the nerve to bark at them. As if. Andrew peed in nature for the first time. When will I learn to ask before we leave if he has to go? When, people? It would be no big deal, except that Andrew doesn't know how to pee standing up yet. I don't know when it is appropriate for little boys to learn that, but quite frankly, I feel unqualified to teach this particular skill. I'll work on the pencil grip, and leave penis grip to Jeff. So peeing in the woods consisted of stripping Andrew down and squatting...girl style. His future football teammates would love a picture of this...but alas, the camera was far away with Lily and Jeff.

Monday night, while the rest of the country was having their last cookouts of the season, I requested to go out to eat at a particular restaurant. When I'm pregnant, I just need to go with cravings. Sometimes it bites me in the arse, but usually its a good call and by listening to my cravings I have less vomiting. So Jeff agreed. I'm not going to tell you what restaurant, because I'm embarrassed by it. No person in their right mind actually WANTS to go to this restaurant. Unless they are 7.

I digress. We pack the kiddos in the car. Andrew is DOG tired, but climbs in willingly. Lily protests a bit, but I quickly distract her with the nearest trash. That's right, trash. I've found some of the best toys are trash. And empty fruit snacks wrapper is crinkly and crunchy and delightful. A full fruit snack wrapper has the added benefit of shaking...pure rapture for my 11 month old. Yesterday's trash of choice was an unopened cheese and cracker package. You know the type...crackers on one side, processed "cheese" on the other. All wrapped up in a non-biodegradable plastic wrapper. Nothing but the best for my kids. Lily enjoys it because of the crinkly sounds it makes.

Andrew fell asleep on the way there. I never realized how much I depend on him to be my "Lily watchdog." I never even thought to look back and see what she was up to. I figure everything is fine because Andrew isn't tattle-taling. Fast forward to unloading the kids. Jeff gently unbuckles sleeping Andrew. I open Lily's side to find....a baby covered in cheese. From just under the eyes to the bottom of chin...covered. Fat little baby hands...covered. Chunky little thighs...covered. And through all this orange goop...and huge...beaming...toothy grin. If I could have brought my camera. She was the happiest I may have ever seen her. And perhaps the messiest.

So that was our weekend. Hope yours was as good.

4 comments:

Erin said...

You have some adorable kiddos. See, that's exactly why you should have more!

Your Andrew story reminded me. I work with a lot of rural folks. This one woman moved from rural Missouri into "town," which was really a town of 450 people, not some major metropolis. But when they moved, she had to retrain her 7-year-old son to NOT pee in the backyard. Because they had neighbors. And this was apparently a foreign and confusing concept to the kid, who was used to just taking it out and GOING whenever he felt like it.

Heather said...

OK - Now I'm super curious about your embarrassing restaurant craving. Was it McDonalds? I craved double cheeseburgers from there when I was pregnant. Chuck E. Cheese? Please tell! :-)

Andrea said...

Oh you have to share!!!!
I'll tell you mine :)
We have been to Friendly's more times in the last 5 months than in the last 5 years and Red Lobster - thank God for the discount we get :)
You need to freak Lily out and get a mirror so you can see what kind of trouble she is getting into. Rachel jumped when I called her out on taking her hat off for the first time :)

Kelsey said...

The cheese! Watch out, that totally sounds like something Harper would have done. . .