Friday, March 07, 2008

A few things I forgot to mention...

So there are two stories I wanted to write about...but I've been too apathetic lately to even sit down and write about them. Can you say "loser", children?

First, there was the hospital visit. Now, this is the 3rd hospital I've delivered in, and in the 3rd state. And none of them have been even remotely similar. I think it should be a rule that a 3rd time mom should not be allowed to take the standard maternity tour. It's just not fair to the tour guide or the other eager 1st time moms along for the ride. (1st time mom says, "What if I'm ready to leave the hospital after just 12 hours or so...can I?" 3rd time mom snickers) This hospital is in New Jersey...actually, in the 'hood of Trenton, NJ. If you've ever read the Janet Evanovich books, I swear this hospital is right in the middle of that horrible neighborhood where Stephanie always has to track down her worst criminals. The hospital is TINY. And old. And in a seriously scary neighborhood. BUT, it is the only hospital nearby with a Level 4 NICU (or is it Level 3?...I don't know), so all the local OB/GYN's send their patients to deliver there. Ugh. We got yelled at by the security guard as we walked in, because he wasn't aware that they were giving two tours that Saturday. He yells across the crowd, "Are you here for the maternity tour? They've been waiting 45 MINUTES for you!!!" Nice. The maternity floor was like the rest of the hospital...tiny and old. There is only one nursery and it is over in the L&D section...which is WAY far away from the regular maternity rooms. It is dark and cluttered and only staffed by 2 nurses. Which means that if you happen to send your baby away so you can actually sleep, it could be a really long time until you get your baby back. But the tour guide assured us, and the 1st time parents with us, that you will not want to send your baby away. That you will actually sleep much better with your baby right next to you. Um, yea. Right. I know how squeaky those newborns are and I know how tired I will be. But there is no way I'm sending baby boy into that dark hell-hole an entire wing away from me. The tour guide pointed out the two babies that were in the nursery saying, "These babies have been here all morning. That usually means that social services hasn't cleared their mother to have them yet. Or that their mother doesn't want them and they will be put up for adoption." The hood, people.

So I was quite disappointed. The tv's are circa 1965, and you have to pay for any channel other than the "Newborn Care" channel. I don't even know how they fit a bassinet in the rooms with the mother...the rooms are so tiny. My friends have delivered there and assure me that the staff is WONDERFUL...and I know that is the most important thing. Although one friend told me her husband did get mugged in the parking lot when she had her first kid. Lovely. There is little I can do, though. In order to change hospitals, I'd have to change doctor's practices...and it just isn't worth that much to me.

The next story I want to write is about our 1 snowfall this year. My parents were visiting, and I was SOOOOOOO excited to see snow. Our backyard is the perfect sled riding hill. The kids could go outside and expend some energy in the snow. Yippee! Winter harmony. Um, what was I thinking??? I can hardly sit on the floor without throwing out my back for the entire day...yea, playing in the snow is going to work, sure. I tried to get Andrew all excited about playing in the snow. I forced him under threat of time-out to get dressed. He balked at the snow pants (they go OVER his other pants...incomprehensible). We couldn't find any heavy-duty snow gloves that fit him. Etc. etc. It took 45 minutes for us to prepare to go out. Then Lily freaked out that I was going outside without her. So we dress Lily in totally inappropriate snow gear. We step out into the winter wonderland. We were going to have FUN, Goddamnit! Lily putzed out after 2 minutes...she didn't like the snow falling in her face, and she refused to stand in the stuff. I gratefully chucked her back inside, since carrying her is a strain. Andrew stomped around in the snow for about 5 minutes...I tried to get him into a snow fight or a snow angel making contest or anything...he got a tiny morsel of snow up his sleeve and he was done. For the day. It was NOT fun for him...or me...or Lily. I never seem to do well when I have high expectations for an activity. Andrew always disappoints. And then we'll have a BLAST just looking for worms or something totally not scheduled or planned out.

-sigh- So my dreams of fun times in the snow were shot. I think the key to fun snow days is having more than one a year. Time for the children to adjust to the fact that they are going to get wet and cold...and it's okay. Time for the children to figure out what they like to do in the snow. But alas...no more snow this year. Except for that freak spring snow shower that I expect to come just as I go into labor.

How did THIS post turn into a whiny one? It's like I'm incapable of funniness lately. I apologize. To myself when I reread this in a year and yell, "You freakin' wuss! Suck it up!" ;) Stay tuned for more whininess!

4 comments:

Emily said...

Yikes - I guess I should stop complaining about my hospital's "no cell phone" policy and be thankful that I don't have to be scared to send the baby to the nursery for heaven's sake.

And I know what you mean about the first time moms in the tour - my husband and I were giggling at some of the questions. After the guide explained that if you pre-register, it only takes 5 minutes at the registration desk to sign the last minute paperwork before you go back to triage, one first timer asked if there was any way that *she* could fill out the paperwork ahead of time, because certainly she would not have 5 minutes to spare as the child is thrusting himself out of her womb. oh, my, is she in for a surprise.

Joanne said...

I'm sorry that your hospital is in the hood, but have to say that the way you described it made me laugh!

Not much longer!!! I am so anxious to hear this little guy's name!!!

HawleyFamily said...

Maybe you WILL want to leave in 12 hours based on how crummy the hospital is!! YIKES! I was always a big advocate of letting them take my baby to the nursery while I sleep, but I think in that circumstance I would keep him RIGHT next to me!!

Swistle said...

Whiny = funny. I especially like the part about sharing the tour with first-timers.