Friday, March 21, 2008

I may miss them

My children are devious. In an attempt to be sure I want them back next Thursday, they conspired to be as cute as possible this morning. It was one of those mornings that make you so glad you decided to be a parent and not some free-spirited, sleeping single person.

Lily and Andrew slept in until 6:45. They awoke within minutes of each other. I sent Andrew in to get Jeff up while I changed Lily and gave her a cup of milk. Lily was in a HILARIOUS mood. She took her cup and pretended to eat the side of it instead of drinking out of it. And then she laughed like she had made the funniest joke in the world. So cute. Jeff tried to pull Andrew's chain saying he wasn't going to get out of bed until he had a cup of coffee. I told him he was going to miss Andrew and Lily's egg hunt if he didn't get out of bed. To which Andrew said, "That's okay, Mom. I'll wait upstairs with Dad so he doesn't miss anything." Which made Jeff feel about 6 inches tall.

We go downstairs and Andrew immediately begins picking up Lily's eggs...which were right in the middle of the room. I reminded him that eggs on the floor were for Lily and his were hidden because he is such a big boy now. He immediately and carefully put them all back and began hunting for his own. He had a BLAST! This is the first year we actually hid them appropriately and not too easy. Lily came downstairs and starts yelling, "Egg!" and pointing with both hands. She was totally into it and a blast to watch. She would find one egg, carry it to Jeff, sit on the floor and wait for him to open it.

After the egg hunt, we opened all the eggs. Then Andrew started hiding them for Lily. For literally an hour, Andrew would set the eggs up for Lily and then help her hunt for them. They were both having a blast. What an awesome big brother he is. And nothing melts my heart like my 2 kids enjoying each other. Maybe adding a 3rd won't be so bad.

We had breakfast, and Andrew out of the blue said, "Thanks for making me pancakes for breakfast, Dad." Of all days to use manners and be as sweet as pumpkin pie...

Eventually we loaded them up in the car and headed to the airport. We decided it would be best for me to just drop them off, so Jeff could be as close to check-in as possible. Lily was thrilled with the buses and planes, and didn't seem upset at all that I didn't follow them into the airport. I haven't heard from Jeff yet, so perhaps she freaked out inside...I don't know.

And now I have almost a week without them. It feels so quiet here...wonderfully quiet. But even with all this quiet, I keep thinking of Lily opening her eggs and saying, "Wow!" and Andrew giving me a sweet kiss and saying, "Have a good time, Mom." It will be good to have some time off. But I do love them...and by Monday I may actually miss them. Certainly by Thursday.








1 comment:

Kate said...

They are SO cute! Love the baskets... where did you find those? Talk to you soon. Enjoy your time alone. What I crave more than anything is to be alone and BORED. What does boring feel like? I mean, I know monotonous. That isn't the same as boring, is it?