Monday, March 03, 2008

Sentences and numbers

Okay...so this is going to be a boring post for everyone except me. And maybe the grandmothers. Deal with it.

Yesterday, Andrew and I went to a birthday party. His best friend Matthew turned 4. You know Matthew. He's the kid that yells, "I love you Andrew!" across the parking lot at school. And Andrew will yell back. The party was fun. Okay, not really. It was everything I hate about birthday parties except at a bounce house place, so Andrew actually had a good time some of the time. Unfortunately, it was a large group of children who knew each other (from Matthew's dad's work) and Andrew. So the only person Andrew knew was Matthew...and Matt was pretty busy playing with the other 25 children that he knew there. Andrew was crushed. I think Andrew is ready to start going steady...and Matthew's just not ready for that type of commitment yet.

Anyhoo, on the way to that stellar party, Andrew tells me he want to sing me a song he just made up. See what you miss when you have the DVD player on constantly in the car? Tuneless, unending songs made up by 4 year olds. This particular composition was just Andrew counting in a sing-songy way. So I'm listening...and he starts at 1...and keeps going...and keeps going...and by the time we get to the parking lot, he's counted up to 130...without missing a single number. I was impressed...but I wonder if he could do it without singing. I think he didn't even realize what he was doing. Like about a year ago when he started counting backwards...I think if I had ASKED him to count backwards, he wouldn't have been able to...but when he wasn't thinking about it, he could do it. Doesn't bode well for elementary school, "Andrew, please don't do your multiplication facts...no! Don't think about it. Just multiply 12 x 13."

In other bragging news...Lily is officially speaking in sentences. It started this weekend. The dog was barking to be let back in, and Lily was concerned. She is always concerned for our dog. But this time, when she pointed frantically at the door to let us know Shadow was out, she said, "Dog bark" clear as a bell. A few hours later, a neighbor's dog was barking, and Lily pointed at the window and said, "Dog bark". And now every time she hears Shadow wanting to come in..."Dog bark." I swear. Clear as a bell. Then last night, she walked up to Jeff at dinner and said, "Tickle Daddy." And she tickled him. I just LOVE this learning language stuff. So fun to watch them put it all together. But she's not gifted, people. When Jeff put on his coat to leave this morning, Lily waved and said, "Bye bye bird." Hmmmmm. I don't think we'll apply for MENSA just yet. ;)

2 comments:

Kelsey said...

Oh, I love the language stuff too! The first sentences are so much fun. Go Lily!

I have to say, I do not understand big birthday parties (kid-oriented ones). I think there is something to that rule about one kid per year of age. Sorry Matthew didn't pay more attention to Andrew, but it probably won't scar him for life.

I am amazed that Andrew can count that high! Harper hasn't quite cracked the code which lets kids move beyond twenty. She also likes to ignore 13-15. Huh? Yeah, we're not applying to Mensa just yet either.

Thanks for sharing your stories, I wasn't bored at all.

Oh, and what show did you see on your New York trip?

CARRIE said...

Norah can only count to 29--most of the time leaving out 15. After 29, it is 20-10, 20-11, 20-12 and so on to 20-20. She clearly inherited my pathetic math skills (as in counting my fingers keeping score at bunco).