Friday, March 20, 2009

Lily low and HIGH

2 episodes of "The Lily Show"

Episode #1...this morning at breakfast.
As of late, Lily feels the need to inform me how many pieces of waffle she has left on her plate. There MUST be a response to each update, or else the angry girl will continue to demand attention and will forget to keep eating said waffle. This morning she announces, "Mommy! I have 2 waffles!" And I respond, "Wow! What a great eater you are!" And she screams at the top of her lungs, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. NOOOOOO GOOD EATER.. NOOOOOO." To which I sarcastically say, "Oh, I mean you are a terrible eater. What a horrible eater you are." And Lily nods her head and humphs in triumph. Boy, she showed me. (meanwhile Andrew snickers over his mini-wheats and circles his pointer finger at his temple...thank God someone understands my sarcasm).

Episode #2...this evening after dinner.
Lily brings the Madagascar 2 movie case over to Jeff and asks to watch it. I am feeding Michael in the next room and pipe in, "Lily already watched that movie today." And Lily tells Jeff, "I watch 2 times." He tickles her and generally tries everything in his power to distract her from the power of Madagascar 2. After 5 minutes or so, she brings him the case again. Jeff says, "Mommy says you already watched this today." And she responds matter of fact, "But Yiddy says watch 2 times." Which doesn't sound nearly as funny typed out as it was in person. I was CRYING I was laughing so hard. We are in so much trouble with this one. (for the record...she did NOT watch the movie again)


And finally, another Lily brag. I know, I know, you don't want to hear it. But it's my blog. I'll brag if I want to. I know that Lily knows her letters. She enjoys that LeapFrog fridge thingy and so she knows all her letters and the sounds that they make. She is starting to know what letter words start with (as in, "what does monkey start with...muh..muh...and she'll say m...)Although she only knows one vowel sound for each vowel...but I'm not worried. I think she'll get it eventually...so we only do the flashcards 3 times a day (kidding...kidding...note sarcasm). Anyhoo, a few days ago she was eating Cheerios (why can't they add veggies to these?). She pointed to the letters on the box and said, "C-H-E-E-R-I-O-S...that says Cheerios". Now what REALLY amazed me about this is that only the C is in capital letters. Which means she knows her lower case letters. Um...? It never ceases to amaze me how these little sponges just out of the blue know things. Perhaps all those hours of television a day aren't so bad after all. Thank you PBS!

2 comments:

Kelsey said...

I know you're half joking, but I am seriously AMAZED at all the things Harper has learned from television.

It is seriously such a thrill to watch them "get" all those things, letters, numbers, reading. . . brag away!

Anonymous said...

That's our Lily! Nothing wrong with a take charge kind of attitude. It can take her places someday(after she's two!) Knowing her upper and lowercase letters means she could finish kindergarten this year. Such a smarty!